Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Studies about the Carnuntum scales armour?
Hello everyone!
Do you know if there is an extensive study of the squamae found in Carnuntum? I'd like to have a scale armour reconstructed, but can't find precise information about dimensions and datation (only generalities: "bronze specimens of 2,8cm by 1,4cm to iron ones of 8cm by 5,4cm" (according to Robinson's book), and a datation always ranging from 1st to 3rd c., but no more than that...).
I'm aiming at a Late Roman kit, second half of the 4th century, to be more precise.
If you have more information, it would be grand! Or maybe is my question futile? Big Grin  I'm trying to find something as deeply rooted in the correct time period as possible but, if it is really nitpicky, I'll be content with any information or reference that could help me make a choice!
I focus on Carnuntum in this post, but I'm open to other models and sites, of course.
To add: I'm novice in Roman reenactment, I just don't dare thinking that ANY scales would be good enough for my objective ^^ .
Nicolas
(01-29-2020, 10:02 PM)cilanos Wrote: Hello everyone!
Do you know if there is an extensive study of the squamae found in Carnuntum? I'd like to have a scale armour reconstructed, but can't find precise information about dimensions and datation (only generalities: "bronze specimens of 2,8cm by 1,4cm to iron ones of 8cm by 5,4cm" (according to Robinson's book), and a datation always ranging from 1st to 3rd c., but no more than that...).
I'm aiming at a Late Roman kit, second half of the 4th century, to be more precise.
If you have more information, it would be grand! Or maybe is my question futile? Big Grin  I'm trying to find something as deeply rooted in the correct time period as possible but, if it is really nitpicky, I'll be content with any information or reference that could help me make a choice!
I focus on Carnuntum in this post, but I'm open to other models and sites, of course.
To add: I'm novice in Roman reenactment, I just don't dare thinking that ANY scales would be good enough for my objective ^^ .

I would suggest getting hold of "The Excavations at Dura-Europos conducted by Yale University and the French Academy of Inscriptions and Letters 1928 to 1937. Final Report VII" The Arms, Armour etc, since it contains much of what should be relevant in a single volume, both flexible and semi-ridged scale are represented.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Thanks for the tip!
Nicolas
Carnuntum finds would be too early for you as I was there in the museum I saw them and they were dated 1st 2 cent AD needd to look up for the photos though
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
(01-29-2020, 10:02 PM)cilanos Wrote: Hello everyone!
As far as I know, there is only Oberst von Groller's site report. I cite it in my call for sources on scale armour (currently on version 1.3 but I hope to have a final version sometime this year).

I know of important finds of scale and lamellar armour in Europe from the first three centuries CE, and the sixth century CE (currently not included, I would have to track down the site reports) but not the fourth.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
I guess the 4th century is the unlucky one Big Grin .
Thanks!

PS: I've seen your link on another thread; thanks for this work, it is very sueful!
Nicolas

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Technological studies on Bronze Age metal body armour Steven James 0 896 12-28-2016, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Steven James