Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
late roman bossless shields?
I have seen some late roman reenactors with no bosses, or a hole for one to be attached on thier shields, what is the evidence for this?
aka., John Shook
Which late Roman reenactors would that be? A shield with just a hole seems to be a bit pointless..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I could imagine a plain board with the grip attached to the back. we get to see that style of shield in later times a lot - Byzantines and Muslim forces used it and similar designs were adopted in Western Europe later. I don't know how far back they go, though - the farthest back I've been able to document with reasonable certainty is 9th century.

Anyone got a second clue of Sassanid, Arab and Central Asian shieldmaking traditions after 300?
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Hi,

Could it be they interpreted the Dura Europos shields a little bit too litteraly :wink: ? IIRC a few of the painted shields found there were bossless, but showed the holes made for the handle. As if they were waiting to receive their boss again after painting.

Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
Yes, that could be the case. Also, I think later shields (I seem to recall pictish ones) had no boses, but also no holes for the hand.
To leave these uncovered would be inviting serious injuries!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Perhaps those reenactors fully intend to put bosses on their shields, put are waiting on delivery from Deepeeka.

On the other hand, maybe the Romans who made the Dura Europas shields are also still waiting on delivery from Deepeeka.

Exactly how long have those Indians been promising, "Next week, next week"
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
it seems in my awful english you misunderstood me, I meant that they did not have holes for the bosses, and didn't have bosses either, like a 5th century greek hoplite shield.
aka., John Shook
Oh yes, that is what you said.
Sorry can't help. No Idea.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Shields and Officers Marcus Artorius Silvanus 4 1,967 07-26-2007, 03:43 AM
Last Post: Marcus Artorius Silvanus
  Late Roman Oval Shields from Dura Europos Matt Lukes 0 970 07-16-2005, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Matt Lukes
  Late 4th, early 5th century shields and calcei Marcus Mummius 14 3,388 05-31-2005, 06:45 AM
Last Post: aitor iriarte