<br>
Netscape Aim/AOL screen name: Sturmkatze<br>
<br>
Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt.</p><i></i>
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Dutch coffee shops are good, during my spring break I got to visit roma for a few days and discovered that the Italian pizza is far better that any that we can make. Pizza is a jewish food by nature isn't it. Anyway im not buttering up the dutch, just simply agreeing with him, if i wanted to begin buttering, its so hard to censor my words, I would have changed my name. <p></p><i></i>
Somehow I feel you've never been into a Dutch coffee shop <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Avete,<br>
<br>
Quote:<br>
You're a quarter Dutch, all is forgiven!<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
in for a penny, in for a pound? I have some Dutch courage in one of the kitchen cabinets!<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
<br>
Gaius Marius Aquilus <p></p><i></i>
<br>
Jenny wrote:<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Just tell them you love their pretty tulips and windmills. They NEVER get tired of hearing that!<hr><br>
<br>
Actually, I think we can thank the Turks for the tulips...<br>
<br>
<p>Scythius<br>
LEG IX HSPA - COH III EXPG - CEN I HIB<br>
<br>
- FIDELITAS - - VIRTUS - - MAGNANIMITAS - </p><i></i>
Adam MacDonald

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org">www.legio-ix-hispana.org
This is true, but...we sell them a LOT. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Yep, they do serve a weird kind of pizza in those coffee shops there..<br>
What I like about Amsterdam:<br>
-The blondes on bicycles. It is obviously where they all come from. <br>
-The really cool people. Coming from France it is a refreshing change to be able to actually talk to people instead of mainly quarreling with them.<br>
-Great cafés terraces. Comfortable seats, nice service (often by blondes..) I am thinking of that big place nearby the Musiektheater with a view of the Amstel. Nice place to be in summer at dusk. Thinking also about this row of cafés on Rembrandt's Plein (?) or Waterloo Plein (?).<br>
On summer evenings the beautiful people show up there.<br>
-Rembrandt, Van Gogh..<br>
-Magnificent old houses. Sometimes very narrow. The record being 1,50 meters wide.<br>
-The weather. Well maybe I was lucky but I never got nasty weather in Amsterdam like rain for days. I had snow in winter but it was nice gently falling snow, not a blizzard. That made walking around town a real pleasure. Really quiet with the snow crunching under your feet..<br>
-Watching the french (usually) tourists getting their cars impounded after about five minutes of illegal parking in the center. ("But I only put zee auto ear five minutes..") Well, too bad, Marcel..<br>
-Watching foreign kids show up at coffee shops after several hours of travelling, ordering a huge joint, fainting and collapsing, usually with some noise. I noticed the locals seem to find this very funny too..<br>
There's a coffee shop in Munt's Plein called "Good Times" where you can get both: the cars impounded in front of the place and the kids having too much smoke inside. Good deal.<br>
Incidentally, with all these coffee shops and stuff, Netherlands is the european country with the lowest number of drug addicts..<br>
--And the tolerance, of course.<br>
What I like less in Amsterdam:<br>
The prices.(Ouch..)<br>
The tourists..(Aaaaargh)<br>
The streetfights between soccer fans. Usually when Ajax meet a British team.. But apparently the "Politie" calmed down things as of late.<br>
The Titanic. Please, could someone finish off that thing and sink it? It is truly an eyesore.<br>
And finally, the fact that.... LOOK, I DID NOT KNOW I WAS WALKING ON THE BICYCLE TRACK!!<br>
Because, whatever you do, do not, never, ever, ever walk on the bicycle tracks in Amsterdam.. It seems there's a religious<br>
prohibition about this...<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
I find myself wondering why we have so many Dutch members and so few Germans. Are there any Germans here? It seems odd because the Germans are crazy about Roman stuff. I wouldn't be able to make a living these days if the Germans didn't buy so many of my Roman mysteries, even though my main character says many rude things about Germans. Any ideas? <p></p><i></i>
First off, what books have you written, bveing part german, as well as other things, i would like to check them out. secondly, i have no idea why there are so few germans. Upon going to munich last year i found out from some germans, that the germans are not particullarly pround to be german with the events of the past century, although i don't see why they should still be bothered by that, I am very proud of my quarter german blood. I heard this from a german citizen so don't think im just making stupid assumptions. <p></p><i></i>
Oh, there are more and more Germans on RAT. Perhaps they're not as loud-mouthed as their western neighbours?<br>
Or they are more modest about their English? Where are the descendants of Mommsen, Ritterling and Von D.? <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Ooops, I've spent the week-end out and, in the meantime, this thread has grown longer...<br>
Robert, f you aspire seriously to become a late officer, you will have to make up your mind to wear some kind of wooden shoes or, at least, wooden-soled pattens. Otherwise, you'll be all the time losing some flimsy, expensive campagus-like shoe after having it stuck in the mud! <br>
I'll finally make a real Dutch out of you!<br>
<br>
Pijus Magnificus <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=aitoririarte>Aitor Iriarte</A> at: 5/24/04 8:03 am<br></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Who are the Dutch & how did they get there ?<br>
<br>
Excuse me as I have been educated in England<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Get where? In the Low Countries or up the Medway to burn Chatham? <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Chatham's still there ... were you just teasing ?<br>
<br>
I just realised that I got an idea where most of the europeans came from but the lowlands types I dont know<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Conal<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Ah yes, the raid on Chatham (or 'The Medway Raid'), 1667, Michiel de Ruyter captured the flagship Royal Charles, burnt a load of ships and generally gave the English the runs.<br>
As to where the Dutch came from, well, we'd like to say the Batavians are our ancestors, but they were prolly already mixed and disappeared among the other tribes by the 4th century AD. The Frisians, Cananefates and Tubantes were all mixed up with Saxons, Franks and others to make it a jolly old early Medieval mix. Sounds familiar?<br>
After that, the area was part of the empire of Charlemagne and his heirs, then the Holy Roman Empire, part of Burgundy, then Charles V of Spain was in charge. His son was kicked out during the 80 years war. Independence declared in 1579. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys