Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animal skins.
Quote:panthers (and tigers) have been spotted running around the English countryside again!
Aye, not far from me. Sad
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Rhino
http://www.vroma.org/images/mcmanus_ima ... trhino.jpg

Question is, could their skins have sometimes been used for signifers et al after they were dead?

i´m trying to imagine a signifer with a rhino skin... Confusedhock:
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
I just knew someone would come up with the rhino line :wink:

Cheers.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Personally, I think a polar bear would be quite fetching. They walk the strees outside my house, you know.

But seriously, no wolves? If there are none in the evidence, then were did the idea come from? Does it men only bears and large cats are usable?
Magnus HÃ¥kenstad
Consvl, Legio XV, Norway

Is there anybody here who has got anything else they\'d rather be doing than marching UP and DOWN the square!!?
But republican Velites did wear wolf skins(or parts of them anyway) didn't they?

Regards,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Well THANKS!!!!!!! You all have been very helpfull!
Actually I started the thread because I read in Pausanias -Phokika-the description of the "Paeonian bull" and the ways it is captured.
Well the animal has been clearly identified as the European bisson that now lives in Poland and Belarus. Skeletal remains have been found in the mountain of Rodopi and I just was imagining the possibilites for reancting Thrakians, Paeoninas, Dakians, Getae -looking like Sioux- but after I saw the hide prices I sobered up! I might settle for bison horns that they seem to apear in Hellenistik kinds portraits on coins.
Thank you all again. It was very informative.
Kind regards
Stefanos
Quote:And apart from several pink ones :wink: panthers (and tigers) have been spotted running around the English countryside again!

Hey, don't forget leopards 8)

Ambrosius
"Feel the fire in your bones."
Nice one.. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)