Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elven helm
Quote:Hey! it's that Guy the funny talker who went to speak with Aragorn at the Gate in the last Battle, then Aragorn Killed him?...It's only appear in extended Ediction...

What happened in the book is that Gandalf/Mithrandir/Olörin humiliated him/it and then, the mouth turned back while salivating by anger and frustration... I haven't seen that extra scene yet.
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Wow!!! Thanx Comerus! Good resaearch!
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
For me i really loved the scene with the elves marching into Helms Deep and everyone on the walls standing defiently against insurmountable odds and encrouching doom... damn i really wish something like that happened and we could live through it, damn technological advancement,
Gavin Creegan
Greetings,
Quote:For me i really loved the scene with the elves marching into Helms Deep and everyone on the walls standing defiently against insurmountable odds and encrouching doom... damn i really wish something like that happened and we could live through it, damn technological advancement,
That is one of my favourite scenes too:

"I bring word from Elrond of Rivendell
An alliance once existed between Elves and Men
Long ago we fought and died together
We come to honour that allegiance
We are proud to fight alongside men once more
"

.....although I don't like to see Haldir killed :evil: Cry

The Runes on the Mouth of Sauron helmet.....[url:2jeqzjmp]http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/movie.htm[/url] someone has been deciphering them.....

regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:For me i really loved the scene with the elves marching into Helms Deep

It is an awesome scene. But it also one that Peter Jackson made up for the film.
Funny if it was real history we would most likely all be up in arms about film makers playing fast and lose with the recorded facts. :roll:
Tasciavanous
AKA James McKeand
Quote:It is an awesome scene. But it also one that Peter Jackson made up for the film.
I disliked it purely for that reason. Totally made it up! And what for?
There was no call for it, but apparently Jackson though 'his' men were far too weak, so he threw in a batallion of Elves.. :evil:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
True, true, althogh he made that scene up i think it was nice to see the elves fighting. It helps show that all middle earth was fighting against Isenguard and Mordor. I think he also did this because there was no time to get the elves in otherwise.
Gavin Creegan
Bah. Revisionist.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Greetings,
I know some members of The Tolkien Society absolutely hated the films and class 'Peter Jackson' as swearing :lol: others accepted Hollywood's version would be slightly different and were happy to finally see the Trilogy on screen.
Regardless of how you feel about PJ's treatment of LOTR, the films are an incredibly stunning and moving visual and audial experience.
Unless JRR Tolkiens's family agree to The Silmarillion being filmed, which seems unlikely at the moment, the Elves, who are very important to Middle Earth, do not really have their origins explained.
(I would love to see High King Fingolfin portrayed on screen.....I even have the actor in mind to play him, Joseph Fiennes....!)
I think the death of Haldir at Helms Deep was inspired by the story of Haldir, the Haladin of Brethil, Uncle of Hurin and Huor. This Haldir was killed by orcs during the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, after taking his warriors to support High King Fingon and the Elves against Morgoth and the army of Angband.
Basically it was a reversal of that tale....hence Haldir of the Galadhrim's speech...!
Incidentially, I saw a cool book today, The Lord of the Rings Sketchbook by Alan Lee [url:8vxb9u7c]http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0261103830/positiontechn-21/ref%3Dnosim/026-0725985-6237230[/url] on my Yule List, along with
'Rome and her Enemies' edited by Jane Penrose [url:8vxb9u7c]http://www.ospreypublishing.com/title_detail.php/title=S9320[/url]
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Ok i know im going off topic here but the type of warfare portrayed in LOTR (same as roman times), that is hand to hand, i wish that was how warfare is now. I mean back then you had to get into arms reach of your enemy, you saw him face to face, you stood a chance. Now or, with the advent of gunpowder, we lost that element. Now you can be shot without even knowing it is coming, shot in the back, have a bomb shot at you from 3000 miles away. Now you dont necessarily know where the attack is coming from, with guerilla tactics. There really isnt much honor in that, is there? I just think that war has just become so impersonalized. The guy with the AK-47 pops out of his hole and shoots you in the back, not haw i would want to go down, but thats just me. So what are your thoughts?
Gavin Creegan
Quote:Ok i know im going off topic here but the type of warfare portrayed in LOTR (same as roman times), that is hand to hand, i wish that was how warfare is now. I mean back then you had to get into arms reach of your enemy, you saw him face to face, you stood a chance. Now or, with the advent of gunpowder, we lost that element. Now you can be shot without even knowing it is coming, shot in the back, have a bomb shot at you from 3000 miles away. Now you dont necessarily know where the attack is coming from, with guerilla tactics. There really isnt much honor in that, is there? I just think that war has just become so impersonalized. The guy with the AK-47 pops out of his hole and shoots you in the back, not haw i would want to go down, but thats just me. So what are your thoughts?
Greetings Maximus,
I totally agree with you, I say exactly the same thing to people, as bloody as hand to hand combat was, it was a lot fairer, you had a 50/50 chance of survival...and in many societies to kill someone who had his back to you was a disgrace and totally dishonourable!
I can't help thinking about The Last Sumarai..... Sad cry:
I would say more, but it would touch on politics, which I know are not allowed on here.... :wink:
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
-
Last samurai? Ugh..awful movie..cheap ripoff of Kagemusha et al... Big Grin

OK, modern waepons are a lot less honorable! But at least, most of the time you snuff it in a reasonable short time, whereas those 'honorable blades' of old could have you in mortal agony for days or weeks before you popped off... Cry
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Conan as directed by John Milius is a CLASSIC!!!!!!!
Regards
Stefanos
The problem with old-fashioned hand-to-hand battle is that the side with the most hands would almost always be the winner. These days, that would mean nobody would stand a chance against China.
Pecunia non olet
Yes,Arthes and Maximus,I also concur. I've long said that today's combat seems a little unfair(not to take anything from those who are actually there)comparitively. I honestly can't imagine the fury needed to charge someone with a sword or spear. It must have taken tremendous fortitude. Although I've read how Greek warfare was a matter of the most fearful put on the front lines to keep them from running away lest you look behind and see your back-up gone. Andy
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LoTR, Elven Falx? Anonymous 2 1,582 05-18-2004, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Anonymous