Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elven helm
Today combat is unfair, we are so advanced the poor b*@&$^!d in the infantry doesnt really stand a chance. The blade may leave you hanging around for a while but some modern weapons do that too, ex: mustard gas, mines, knives (standard issue), bullets (placement of shot counts) and a bunch others. As for China there is an old proverb, "Ten soldiers well led will beat the hundred without a head" It all comes down to leadership and will to fight. VERDICT : I like the old style of combat better.
Gavin Creegan
Quote:These days, that would mean nobody would stand a chance against China.
Nobody does stand a chance against China, anyway. Our great-grandchildren will be learning Chinese in school, for sure. Let's just hope it's a subsidiary subject, not a major.. Sad
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
They shallnot learn Chineese, they will not take over the world! We must stop them!

Just in case im going to start forming an underground now.....
Gavin Creegan
Quote: But I shall encourage like you all!:

Freedom or Death!!!.....Haaaaaaaa! :x .....Charge!.....

Or as the Narts would say......

"It is better to die with honour, than to be slaved and live in shame"

regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:
Comerus Gallus Romus:3mf8qz4a Wrote:But I shall encourage like you all!:

Freedom or Death!!!.....Haaaaaaaa! :x .....Charge!.....

Or as the Narts would say......

"It is better to die with honour, than to be slaved and live in shame"

regards
Arthes

Hmmm!!!!
The cavalry of Gondor charges and was wiped out but it served its purpose.
Well I guess you cant have Platea without Thermopylae
Kind regards
Stefanos

P.S. remember to keep Eowyn with the reserves...you never know when she might come handy....
Yes the Gondorian Cavalry charge, I loved that scene. That would be one of the scenes I would want to be in, although they were slaughtered to almost a man. Speaking of that I love to ride, are any of you other guys ride horses? I for some reason love riding in armor, yes I have done that.
Gavin Creegan
(EDIT: Oops! Didn't know we were so off topic in here!)

I've never ridden, myself, but really, really want to! I'd like to do a cavalry impression if I ever get a horse, but that looks doubtful before my education is over...

I really found the cavalry charges in the Lord of the Rings film good, but I definitely wouldn't want to ride like 'em without some appropriate training! Big Grin

-Gregory-
Gregory J. Liebau
The Bronze Age Center
I have ridden with hamata, Segmentata, and a few custom peices. Difficulties, yes, when i started it was mainly balance while riding, let me say falling off a horse at a full gallop is not very fun. Your manuverability all depends on the horse, and your speed, lets not forget physics. The faster you go the harder it gets. And the more gear you rid with the harder it is and you have to make sure you horse wont freak when you get on it with all your gear.
Gavin Creegan
Greetings,
I have only ridden a little, not past a short canter (I nearly fell off at a trot and walked rather like John Wayne afterwards) and stirrupless at a walk on a pony (starting to practice at the time) but not in recent years. However, I am er, somewhat interested in the cavalry from certain time periods and places.... :oops:
One question I don't think I have seen anywhere: how did stirrupless riders manage to survive the trot or did they go from a walk to canter? (Do I remember reading that the trot was not used until more recent times)
Although I suppose most cavalry riders had hardened and padded rears by the time they finished training....and all walked like John Wayne!
At Kelmarsh this year, one of the ESG horsemen slipped and went down -which was obviously distressing to see. The rider got up and walked over to his horse, who was by then posing for the crowd :lol: stroked and talked to it a little and then gave a spectacular display of the cavalry leap back into the saddle, to a large round of applause. Amazing...! :o D
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
In the www.atarn.org site if you search using the term Skythians or Scythians you will find a link for a reconstructed skythian saddle made of felt. This might answer Cristina's and Gioi questions.
Stirrupless is a certainty for ancient cavalry but saddleless, I am not so sure.
Kind regards
Stefanos
Try to see if you can find the link in the Greek Cavalry thread in Greek History and arcaeology.
Regards
Stefanos
Horseback archery.... Big Grin Laslo Kassai is the master of that.....
thank you Gioi and Stefanos....for the links
http://198.66.52.119/phpBB2/files/k.zs_170.jpg - ooh!
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
-
Horseback archery, it takes alot of skill, practice and talent, so ill stick to rideing with armor, shield, and spear. But it is pretty fun to try and hit a target by throwing a javalin at it.
Gavin Creegan
Quote:But it is pretty fun to try and hit a target by throwing a javalin at it.
and jolly impressive to watch!
Alan Larson and his troop are very good at the Roman sports stuff (They were the Roman Cavalry types supporting the ESG a Kelamarsh this year). All in all for dash and spectacle I think the Hipika gymkhana sp? has every thing else well beat.
Tasciavanous
AKA James McKeand
Quote:But it is pretty fun to try and hit a target by throwing a javalin at it and jolly impressive to watch!

Yes, definitely...!!!
I do prefer handing the weapons out to the horsemen instead of being in the testudo they are aimed at.....peering out....'here he comes'.... hides behind shield.... *thump* ....peers out.... 'flash cavalryman approaching'.... ducks down.... 'missed ha ha'.... peers out once again....'waaaah, where did he come from'....just ducks down in time.... *thump* on my shield :lol:

Quote:Alan Larson and his troop are very good at the Roman sports stuff (They were the Roman Cavalry types supporting the ESG a Kelamarsh this year). All in all for dash and spectacle I think the Hipika gymkhana sp? has every thing else well beat.
Yes, I kept disappearing from our encampment to watch him and the guys in action... :roll:
I think the most humourous part of the weekend was when the rain held off until the moment ESG marched into the arena and then, down it came -I could just imagine the comments.... :lol: (although I am sure they did not find it amusing...all that rust to clean again.... :lol: )
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
-

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LoTR, Elven Falx? Anonymous 2 1,582 05-18-2004, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Anonymous