Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoplite Shield Designs
Quote:Changing course here...

What kind of design would Xenophon and the men of the 10,000 have emblazoned on their shields?

The Osprey books interpetation of using the initial letter "K" of their employer Cyrus (KYPOS in Greek) is very simplistic. Most likely since they were localy recruited in various Greek places, as we are informed in the Anabasis they probably carried their states' shield device. Xenophons lets us to belive that each locality troops were sticking together in companies which is prudent.
You trust more the poeple you know and have fought with rather than an unknown group yuo meet fot the first time.

Peter, intersting book is seems but too much occult. Even from the Bronze age ther was more to the Greek heraldry than the star signs.

Kind regards
Thanks for the info Stefanos.

BTW - What do you guys think about my hoplite? http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/38068015/
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Myself and a group of collegues have started publishing articles about Greek shield designs in the magazine ISTORIKES SELIDES (History pages).

September 2006 we started with Argos and this month appeared the first part of Sparta with more city states to follow.
For the time being non Greek speakers can only enjoy Nikos Panos artwork but we are still young and we hope that we will reach a more international audience sometime. :lol:

The publishing house is here:
www.hellenicdefense.gr

Kind regards
Well done, Stefanos! Big Grin Do you think it's possible to scan some pages for us, or is that not allowable?
[Image: parsiaqj0.png]
[size=92:7tw9zbc0]- Bonnie Lawson: proudly Manx.[/size]
Spartan shields from our team:
http://www.300spartanwarriors.com/battl ... ponry.html
Enjoy
Stefanos

keep up the great work love to buy copy when completed.
Stefane thats a good job. I read the articles in the magazine and i have a request. Is it possible to have them more detailed? I mean i would be really interested to see how the research came to conclude that this episimon matches with that city state, the background reasearch etc. I think it would be fascinating since this didnt happened before and im very interested as graphic designer also. We are talking about a primary form of logos in Greece. Is it gonna be a more detailed research published in the form of a book? If not please give us some more details in the monthly articles.
Even if there was a book after i would still buy it :wink:
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave
I second that, Idomeneas Big Grin

Come on Stefane give us some hints! Also, do you have any data about Istiaia? I know it's a bit obscure but remember that this people were the only small league city to stand up against the Athenians before the Peloponnesian war (the fact that I am an Euboean play no part, honest :roll: )
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Honor to those who in the life they lead
define and guard a Thermopylae.
Never betraying what is right,
consistent and just in all they do
but showing pity also, and compassion
Kavafis the Alexandrian
The collection of articles in a book is an option we try to pursue.
We will see how it develops.

Now to be 100 % honest the first person who tried to categorize the Greek shield emblems was G.H. Chase of Princeton university in 1906.
We used him as a guide and we started finding miracles.
And we revised our "dogmatic" opinions as we went along.
Spyros, we first publish those that we have concrete evidence upon.
Most Evoic cities are under research. So far only Chalkis and Eretria have been identified beyond reasonable doubt.
Eretria is coming on the article about ancient Marines.
Yannis ,
The reconstruction of one emblem is a full magazine article by itself.
Thanks for the request we will try to write something that it is not "scholarly boring".

Example: to reconstuct the Spartan boar We had to read not only Greek but also Latin writers that we presented in our references plus rare books of 19th century "gentlemen travellers" who had the good fortune to see many thing now worn out by time.

Kind regards
Yes,Stefane,I repeat my congratulations.I had once told you I wanted to ask certain things about how you concluded in those particular emblems,but Yannis gave a good idea that you could make the whole article a bit more detailed...I mean,wouldn't most people who read this magazine and this article be more interested in this "scholarly" detail?just my opinion(a bit biased I have to admit,because i really want to know more on the subject Smile )
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Am I right in thinking that the yellow shield with a black octopus is an Aeginetan device? Are there any other examples of shields with yellow fields? (I've got a lot of yellow paint, see....)
Paul
Aiginitans are under research for my ancient Marines article
The Octapus was for the Evoic city of Eretria.
It is depicted black on bronze but I see no reason for an extravagant Eretrian trireme captain to use yellow.

Kind regards
Eretria, of course! The ones who supported the Ionian revolt. I think I'll go for it.
Is there any way I can buy these magazines from out of Greece?
[Image: parsiaqj0.png]
[size=92:7tw9zbc0]- Bonnie Lawson: proudly Manx.[/size]
Quote:Is there any way I can buy these magazines from out of Greece?

Congratulations on reaching your majority.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hoplite Shield/Panoply Color Harrisonfletch 0 979 04-02-2020, 01:28 AM
Last Post: Harrisonfletch
  Silver shield shield designs? Rizzio 0 1,505 08-15-2016, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Rizzio
  Any current works about hoplite shield devices? Condottiero Magno 2 2,288 08-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr