Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alexander Mosaic from Pompeii
Salvete Stefanos and Gioi,

anyhow I cannot imagine Alexander with this neck protection over his normal armor. Could it not be a Persian booty piece that had been deposited in the grave at Vergina?

Gioi, I really like Your theory about the infantryman next to Alexander as Lysimachos. That would make sence as Lysimachos was leader of the hispaspists at Gaugamela. The man from the mosaic is wearing only a red hat, and Lysimachos surely would not have been wounded by the bottom end of Alexanders' lance or xyston if he had worn a helmet. BTW, Paolo Moreno ("Apelles - The Alexander mosaic") calls this man Alexander's shield bearer Peukestas.

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Hi Gioi,

You need no excuses about the references, a young pater familias as You are with a young Alexander that may-be is crying (at home already?) the hole time. May-be not much sleep and not much time, I understand that absolutely - no hurry, please.

You are right, Moreno is a very daring man, I have read only the beginning of his book and am stumbling again and again over another theory. So he says that following the direction of the sarissas in the background that they must belong to the Persian infantry, that after the sources at Gaugamela for the first time was equipped with that weapon against the Macedonians - for him another proof that this mosaic depicted the battle of Gaugamela. The gaps between the very left sarissas and those in the middle would show that some of the Persians had abondoned their lances and would be flying already; the same about the three sarissas at the very left which show in the opposite direction and shall be carried by Persians that are flying too.

Stefanos, Arthes and all the other experts of the Macedonian / Persian war, do You think this could be the case? It would at least make some sence that Dareios has his infantry behind him. On the other hand there would be the Macedonian phalangites coming from the right side behind him and Alexander with his cavalry from the left side and I think it was more Alexander's style of attacking Dareions directly with his cavalry and leaving his infantry behind him. The Macedonian cavalryman on the very left who stops his horse with his reins turns his head back (to the left) and he seems to be looking if any support from the Macedonian side is coming.

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Uwe,
In my opinion Dareios after Issos would be more open to suggestions to arm his infantry with better close combat weapons. The question would be training and determination. We only know for sure of Persian spear levies in the Sassanide army that always broke and fled. But your opinion on Alexander´s charge and leaving his footmen behind is valid.
M. Andronicos in his book quates Plutarchos and Kallisthenis about the neck guard being sign of officers and not just protection. Phlip's tomp would have been sealed after his death and would not be opened so the neck guard would be his. So Alex would use his own neckguard I guess.
Kind regards
Greetings,
Quote:Salvete Stefanos and Gioi,

anyhow I cannot imagine Alexander with this neck protection over his normal armor. Could it not be a Persian booty piece that had been deposited in the grave at Vergina?

Gioi, I really like Your theory about the infantryman next to Alexander as Lysimachos. That would make sence as Lysimachos was leader of the hispaspists at Gaugamela. The man from the mosaic is wearing only a red hat, and Lysimachos surely would not have been wounded by the bottom end of Alexanders' lance or xyston if he had worn a helmet. BTW, Paolo Moreno ("Apelles - The Alexander mosaic") calls this man Alexander's shield bearer Peukestas.

Greets - Uwe
Peukestas adopted the Persian clothes and culture, although I cannot remember at what point this was...it says here...he was promoted to Elite Bodyguard after saving Alex's life in Punjab 326 and given Starapy of Persis 325/4
I have been reading that Alexander - Hunt For A New Past, not sure about some of the opinions expressed in there.
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-