Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High crests
I've been doing some subtle subliminal advertising for the Festival at random websites / forums. Wink
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
Quote:I've been doing some subtle subliminal advertising for the Festival at random websites / forums. Wink

:!: You did it! My mind is boggling Confusedhock:
Very nice description of the Thespians.
Except the black cloack staff seem to be there only for marketing.
Seem Christos Giannopoulos did the design.
Kind regards
Depended on his finances Gioi. It could range from grey unbleached clothes to white chiton with purple decoration. Black was a possibility but not uniform colour. As I said before Army issue brown or gray heavy blanket can reanct the campaign cloack nicely.
Leather pilos from dog skin for purists!!
Kind regards.
Scorpio was Spartan but yet we have not identify the area of the unit.
The crest seems personal emblem to me and it seems to be a fox.
The cuirass of the guy with the fox crest is interesting. A spollas may be?
The leather pilos was made like the "Phrugic" cup.
I own a red central Greece pilos from felt. It was possibly in the same design.
Kind regards
Heroes in pottery are depicted with elaborate crests and crest boxes.
In the Archaic period this might be the mark of a wealthy noble individual but in the Classic era it was the mark of the war leader-general.
Spartans used the traverse crest but other city states used more elaborate decorattion for the Generals.
Hight Crest were more the making of officers or file leaders.
Kind regards
Gioi! WHERE is that shot from? *Drools*

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

I wonder whether feeling strangely moved over old blokes with one eye is part of your Viking heritage.... Smile (if you plan to reply, I think this is one for the chat-room!)
High crest example:
From our Spanish friends...
Quote:I wonder whether feeling strangely moved over old blokes with one eye is part of your Viking heritage.... Smile (if you plan to reply, I think this is one for the chat-room!)

Note the black cuirass. Wink

- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

Quote:Gioi! WHERE is that shot from? *Drools*
Alexander..... :roll: :lol:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:Ela! Stefanos, here a boeotian warrior, with boots of two pieces.
He seems to be wearing sandals with a 'legging' on the left leg, but I can't see one on the right... :?
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/C ... img332.jpg
And another high cavalry boots, I was intriging about the cloth hat, look phrygian but is not.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/C ... img330.jpg [/quote]
It is rather interesting.....reminds me of those things people wear in the desert...stops the neck from burning....
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Thanks Gioi. That adds to my argument on "Greek footwear" that The Oidipus cylix shows Beotian boots.
The laurels on Pilos are not just for glory in war. They mark the person as a Pythia winner (Pythionikos). This is one of the stele of the Battle of Delio period that exist in Lamia meuseum.
Kind regards
Eduardo Guillen sent me the picture of the crest, but I needed Stefanos' help to get it posted here.

Eduardo has done it the way I would have, but I've since seen one made out of two brass plates back-to-back for the stem, which produces a very slimline look.