Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boeotian/Dipylon Shield
Noo,Paul,I was talking about the shield on the wall in the the Olympia museum.That chap is a statuette from Dodoni.Stefanos said that this shield in Olympia comes from a statue and it's not the bronze facing of a real Boeotian shield.But I don't think it comes from a statue earlier than 480bc.What I would like to know is if it comes from a period that this type of shield was still in use,even is some places only,or from later,and was just representing an Archaic hero.In other words,I would like to test its accuracy,though in either case I believe it would have been rather accurate.
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Oookay, :lol: I'm with you, now. I think it's already been established that this type of shield, althought dating from the Archaic Period, was still in use in the Persian Wars. Or is that not what you're asking, either?
Big Grin D I mentioned the date 480 because I gather that period(a bit after 500bc) as the time that the art and statues started changing and becoming more realistic...I did the quastion about accuracy only to point that this would have been the exact shape,thickness etc of the REAL boeotian shield,right?Unfortunately,if we don't know anything more about the rest of the statue,we can't be sure about the size...But if it's from a statue deep or even in the begining of the classical period,that would be a guarantee that the shape is exactly tha same as the real thing.I say this because in Archaic art we often see artistic "views" in certain things,for example thick thigh,long legs and things like that(like in vases,too)...
Khaire Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Pottery date in 480 BC and 450 BC shows combined Argolic and Beotian shield. (Photos in Osprey's series and Persueus project.)
The are indications that the Thessalian horsemen used a small "Beotian"!
Also a strong probability that the Skiritans used it until the middle of the Peloponessian war.
Kind regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dipylon shield Antonius Lucretius 4 3,947 11-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Anonymous