Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st Century Hats
I'd like to get that image as well.

jurjen.draaismaATmodelspoorbanen.nl
ALA I BATAVORUM
Hi Jim

Sure I will send you some pics as soon as I can. I have some paintings of Gladiators which need doing urgently, in fact I should be doing them now!

Jurjen are you in the Gemina Project?

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:Sure I will send you some pics as soon as I can. I have some paintings of Gladiators which need doing urgently, in fact I should be doing them now!
Thanks Graham. Whenever's convenient, I fully understand.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Jurjen are you in the Gemina Project?

Graham.

Hi Graham,

No I don't take part of the Gemina Project. I'm re-enacting in a museum near Nijmegen, almost every weekend. Last few years I more en more got into roman military, but not beiing part of a group.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Last few years I more en more got into roman military, but not beiing part of a group.
I bet Cordvs would welcome you... :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hi Jim/Jurjen.

I have sent you both the images of the hat from the esquiline and a couple of others. Jim I know you got yours, have you ever seen anything like the cloth cap/baseball cap type before?

Jurjen I have just posted the same ones to you, please let me know if they arrive.

Must point out though that none of them are first century AD but I do not know of any definite examples from that period.

Sailors are supposed to have worn a broad brimmed hat according to Plautus I recall which would therefore be before the first century. He also mentions an eye patch as well! Sounds too much like Long John Silver and belongs in the Pirate thread!

Graham.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:Jim I know you got yours, have you ever seen anything like the cloth cap/baseball cap type before?

[Image: wisdom-norman.jpg]

Seriously, no. They're just awesome, and begging for a reconstruction. I honestly never expected to see anything like it from the time period. What with the paddle boat, medical staples, and now that cap, we're sooooo behind the times. Big Grin Superglue and the internal combustion engine next.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Tarbicus wrote:

Quote:Superglue and the internal combustion engine next.

Jim
Do you mean you did not realise what the Vindolanda writing tablets were stuck with!!! I am sure there is also a woman with a steam engine on the Zlieten mosaic as well!

Seriously that Norman Wisdom hat does look very familiar, now you have posted it. I did not know that he had studied Roman mosaics as well. (Jim I think we better explain now to non British readers that Wisdom is a British comedian very popular in the 1950's and still a hero in Albania! Otherwise they will think we are speaking in Birkonian!)

The one shown on the Tunisian mosaic does not appear to have any hatching effects would you say it was felt then rather than straw?

Graham.

Quote:Tarbicus wrote:

Quote:Superglue and the internal combustion engine next.

Jim
Do you mean you did not realise what the Vindolanda writing tablets were stuck with!!! I am sure there is also a woman with a steam engine on the Zlieten mosaic as well!
Like I said, those Romans just keep coming up with surprises. Bronze muscled cuirasses, Viking type swords..... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Quote:The one shown on the Tunisian mosaic does not appear to have any hatching effects would you say it was felt then rather than straw?
Initially felt, but it's really hard to say as it's a mosaic and there may have been no way to show the hatching. That's a really tough question that needs more consideration. Hmmmm..... Do you know the wider context of the mosaic? Do you think that has any clues? Probably not, but you never know. :?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Jim

The image of the baseball/cloth cap comes from 'Mosaiques Romaines De Tunisie', 1989. Tunis. It is from a detail of a mosaic showing a fishing scene from Thurburbo Maius now in the Bardo Museum.

It is possible either the upper or lower half of the hat have been restored but what survives does not have the effects shown in the other example I sent you with the long peak at the front. That clearly appears to be a straw hat as it has been given the same treatment as a basket the fisherman has next to him.

Perhaps the most bizarre image in the book however is the beast hunter fighting wild beasts while walking on short stilts! Now you never see that done in a movie, but you can see it in an Alma Tadema painting.

Graham.

Hello

Making research in roman lamps from croatian findings, I have just found some hats on them.

nr 1. begining of 1 c. AD, found in Sisak.
nr 2. first half of 1 c. AD, found in Sisak
Cacaivs Rebivs Asellio
Legio XXI Rapax - http://www.legioxxirapax.com/
a.k.a Cesary Wyszinski
I have found another hat.

However its on the coin issued in Rome 157/156 B.C., but its still interesting.

It looks like big wooden bowl Smile
Cacaivs Rebivs Asellio
Legio XXI Rapax - http://www.legioxxirapax.com/
a.k.a Cesary Wyszinski
It's a special flying hat, Hermes-type :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Hi Cezary,

as for the lower of the 2 pics of lamps (zrodla_czapek_1.jpg) I think that those are helmets, not hats. I may of course be wrong but I would guess the lamp shows a gladiatorial fight of 2 equites ...
It's Greek, and it's 3rdC BCE, but shows a really interesting beret type of hat worn by a New Comedy actor thought to be portraying a soldier, currently in the British Museum:
[Image: comictraveler.jpg]

And a detail of a relief from the 1stC CE, Roman, found in Rome:
[Image: carver.jpg]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!