Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vin Diesel Mounts His Elephant
I guess I'd be a little annoyed too Tim when some movie trashed my country and made me and my countrymen look like bad guys. The only time people can really make fun of Canada is when we loose the gold medal in hockey at the olympics. <p>"Remember, pillage first....then burn."</p><i></i>
Racing elephants? I love it! yuk-yuk yuk! <p></p><i></i>
The English are always the bad guys, we love it. Throw another baby on the fire Jeeves <p><i>Unless the Persians fly away like birds, hide in the earth like mice, or leap into a lake like frogs, they will never see their homes again, but will die under our arrows</i></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
Yeah Tiberius, CFS is really alot of fun, are you a crazy add-oner too? Don't miss CFS3 (Fall release) and watch your six!<br>
<br>
About the movies, yes, I understand both opinions.<br>
Anyway remembering the '60 Cinecittà "roman" movies flood (A and B movies, the most part silly and ridiculous) and the following stop for thirty-forty years until "Gladiator", we could interrogate ourselves if their impact conditioned the most of people to start the roman re-enactment thirty years ago (yes, it's obvious). I know almost anyone started when just a kid with a cardboard helmet and waving a wooden sword yelled: "damned Barbarians"!<br>
<br>
Maybe even B-movies lighted the spark...<br>
<br>
Ualete<br>
<br>
Titus Sabatinus Aquilius <p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Sometimes I think the "B" movies (and worse) are actually better for recruiting new blood. They are not pretentious, they don't even try and pretend to be good history, they just tell a fun, fast-moving story of adventure and action.<br>
Most of my students really liked "the 300 Spartans" which is both historical and action filled. My students enjoyed the BBC and PBS "documentaries" more at the end of the year, when they got points for finding anachronisms! During lunch break, I showed the films like "Spartacus" and "Ben Hur" in my classroom. It had a large following. Some of these viewers sign up for my ancient history courses the next time they are offered! "Fall of the Roman Empire", "Masada", Roman Scandals", "A funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum", "The Robe" and "Demetrius and the Gladiators", were all new to these students!<br>
I even got permission to show "I, Claudius" to older students whose parents signed a release because of the "nudity". (The other students were probably off watching "R-rated films at the theatre...")<br>
<br>
Use films, and then support them with actual history. Write Hollywood producers and film companies and thank them for their attempts and suggest low cost ways to improve their historical accuracy, IF you have credentials. Support independent film-makers with your time, equipment and knowledge.<br>
<br>
Last but not least, vote with your money. See historical films in the theatre, and buy the tapes and DVD's so that the producers feel there is a reason to make these. They do it for MONEY most of the time. <p>"Just before class started, I looked in the big book where all the world's history is written, and it said...." Neil J. Hackett, PhD ancient history, professor OSU, 1987</p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Hi all,<br>
<br>
Can I just add (belatedly) that Vin Diesel is no Victor Mature when it comes to Hannibal - in fact has any actor played more ancients that VM? Hannibal, Demetrius, Horemheb, Samson (and his dad), king of the Tartars, so many races ... ah!<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi <p></p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hannibal -- The Vin Diesel Film Project Narukami 5 1,698 12-31-2012, 12:26 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius
  Elephant Follow-Up satsobek 4 1,978 09-03-2002, 11:45 PM
Last Post: satsobek