Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late roman archery (aiming)!
My "Bear" bows are otherwise great, but...

I have broken already 5 strings with my bows (with the 90 & 110 pounder) :x . The strings provided with the bows all snapped from the loop-part of the string, some after only after a couple of shots! I have not found any sharp parts from the siyah of the bow where the string is attached and this makes the problem a real mystery. So right now I am out of strings...

I have not been able to shoot my bows since last summer because also my assyrian type 70 pounder started to shoot the string with the arrow simultaneously (the bow started to bend in different directions from he siyahs when drawing). It has been now for 5 months since I sent it to the manufacturer for repair :evil: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Perhaps you could try getting a custom string with a double serving on the loop area, Jyrki?
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus
[Image: comitatus.jpg]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">www.comitatus.net
Quote:My "Bear" bows are otherwise great, but...

I have broken already 5 strings with my bows (with the 90 & 110 pounder) :x . The strings provided with the bows all snapped from the loop-part of the string, some after only after a couple of shots! I have not found any sharp parts from the siyah of the bow where the string is attached and this makes the problem a real mystery. So right now I am out of strings...

I have not been able to shoot my bows since last summer because also my assyrian type 70 pounder started to shoot the string with the arrow simultaneously (the bow started to bend in different directions from he siyahs when drawing). It has been now for 5 months since I sent it to the manufacturer for repair :evil: ...

sorry when we last spoke i thought you were buying one of these kassai bear hungarian bow :?

i cant think why the strings are breaking ,i like to use b50 dacron on my bow its quite forgiving with a little stretch, but not enough to cause a problem.i use 18-20 strands.

i had heard that they had stopped making the assyrian bow because of problems . i did want to buy one myself .i love the design.

i do know that Grozer have virtually changed all there designs now. I personally dont think they look as good, but they do perform much better. Smile
S.mario
[Image: archer.gif]
[url:12mymlic]http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=rattyarchery[/url]
Quote:Hi Ratty, fancy seeing you here! (same Et Tu Brute from the warbow forum Smile ) Interesting topic, I agree with Ratty that you can easily be as accurate drawing to the ear as you can drawing and anchoring to the cheek/side of mouth, I've shot like this, and despite me being a pretty poor archer anyway my accuracy doesn't really suffer. The only thing that does make it harder is the fact that you are holding more weight on your fingers.

By they way Ratty, I've seen Hector Cole has some tanged arrow heads, not sure how accurate they are though, perhaps John Marshall could make some?

hello Big Grin

good idea et to brute i think ill have a word with john marshall thanks
S.mario
I've just got some of Johns arrow heads, (socketed, not tanged) they're really fantastic, I'll post some pics of the finished thing when they're done on the warbow forum.
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus

Hi Ratty!

Yes, I have exactly those Kassai`s "Bear / Vazul" bows, an 90 and an 110 pounder. The new grozer hugarian bows claim to be more accurate but I share your opinion that they are somehow "uglier" in design now. Have you heard problems with the grozer assyrian bows? Are the problems like I have with my bow?

It is a pity because the assyrian was a real pleasure to shoot an accurate Cry ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Hi Dave & Ratty, what has been going on in the englishwarbow.com- forum lately? I have not been able to follow it because it requires registration nowadays Cry ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
The warbow forum is doing great, it's really got me right into archery, even more! Why not register?
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus

Quote:The warbow forum is doing great, it's really got me right into archery, even more! Why not register?

Perhaps I should register if I want to continue "lurking" there (it just means another username & password on the top of the pile :wink: ...)
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Yeah, I use the same username/password on about 10 different forums!
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus

Hi folks,

real instinctive shooting cannot be learned like riding a bike. Archery is a religion and the perfect shot that hits the mark is like enlightenment.

Having said that, why should the average Late Roman rank and file foot archer wear a helmet? At first they do the screening, and if a gang of bullies with swords manages to come through the hail of arrows, the archers retreat behind a formation of heavy infantry and start shooting again over the heads of their comrades. So there is hardly need for an archer to use body armour, perhaps with the exception of heavy cavalry acting as archers.

Just my two pence.

Cheers,

Helge Dunbar
If you run away from an archer...
Quote:Hi folks,

real instinctive shooting cannot be learned like riding a bike. Archery is a religion and the perfect shot that hits the mark is like enlightenment.

Having said that, why should the average Late Roman rank and file foot archer wear a helmet? At first they do the screening, and if a gang of bullies with swords manages to come through the hail of arrows, the archers retreat behind a formation of heavy infantry and start shooting again over the heads of their comrades. So there is hardly need for an archer to use body armour, perhaps with the exception of heavy cavalry acting as archers.

Just my two pence.

Cheers,

Helge Dunbar

instinctive shooting is suprisingly easy, but being good at it takes years of practice.

for eg. if i gave you a stone and said throw it at that dusbin 20yds away i bet you could hit it, thats instinctive, you wouldnt have to aim to do it.

its the same with instinctive archery.
S.mario

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Archery - Help Needed Quadratus 11 3,469 03-15-2013, 01:21 AM
Last Post: Titvs Statilivs Castvs
  archery in britain during roman occupation ratty 9 2,666 12-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Last Post: ratty
  Help with Roman archery article Quadratus 3 1,270 11-20-2006, 10:19 AM
Last Post: Quadratus