Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Latin language study growing so much in the U.S.A.?
But then, you still have a brain and know how to use it. <p>Salve,<br>
Triarius<br>
One of the pack, maybe. One of the herd, <i>NEVER!</I></p><i></i>
Jeez..and I just want to speak a little latin so I don't sound like a total idiot...which is pretty much anytime I open my flapper...E EM<br>
<br>
On a serious note, I think that the reemergence of latin in some schools is a result of a growing interest in history and language as a whole... I would not be surprised that if a community college somewhere offered greek as a language choice, we would see similar activity. <p>Marcus Bruttius Romulus<BR>
Optio<BR>
Legio III Augusta</p><i></i>
There was a recent article in USAToday about the growth of Latin in the US: you can see the first three paragraphs from the July 25, 2002 issue. Unfortunately, the rest is a paid download, but you can find it perhaps in your libraries. Our own Matt Amt is interviewed in there as well, promoting Roman reenactors.<br>
<br>
Classics on odyssey from stuffy to cool ; It's all Greek (and Latin) in popular lit, classrooms<br>
USA TODAY; McLean, Va.; Jul 25, 2002; Deirdre Donahue;<br>
<br>
DC_ABS<br>
Bookstores groan with classical titles. They range from a new accessible biography of the Roman orator Cicero to recent novels such as Last of the Amazons by Steven Pressfield and cultural histories such as Route 66 A.D.: On the Trail of Ancient Roman Tourists by Tony Perrottet.<br>
<br>
* High school enrollment in Latin classes is booming, says Adam Blistein, executive director of the American Philological Association, which represents college and university classics professors. The number of students taking the National Latin Exam has more than doubled since 1985 from 53,000 in 1985 to 123,000 in 2002. And more college students are choosing to major in the classics (Latin, Greek and classical civilization).<br>
<p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX.
http://www.geocities.com/richsc53/studies/ </p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Latin language forums Anonymous 5 2,321 12-30-2002, 04:19 AM
Last Post: richsc