Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sad sad day in Rome: Total War
The newly conquered rebel towns, continued threatening to riot, forcing me to keep pouring troops in there to quit them while laying siege to the four towns I had left alone until now. I didn’t give the towns a second thought, my generals backup up by a full legion of urban cohorts and four cohorts of Praetorian cavalry would make easy work of them.
During the siege I finally set out a roman cavalry unit to investigate the area on the map that refused to yield to the house of the Julii. After days of scouting they found a path running up north behind the forest. Those tricky rebellious gladiators thought they could hide from the might of Rome. I had to pull units from the surrounding towns to create a force large enough to deal with them and hope that those towns didn’t threaten to rebel.
The four towns fell as planned, almost not worth the effort. The hidden rebel town fell but they did put up a good fight at least that’s what my generals say, I think it was because they attacked with standard legionary troops.
I prepared once again to stretch forth the mighty hand of Rome and demonstrate to her enemies the superiority of her troops in battle but as I stood around the war map with my generals planning my next conquest, the shock hit me like a pugio to the gut. I stepped out of my tent and looked around and envisioned the land in all direction. The land, in all direction was conquered. There were no more rebellions, there were no barbarians threatening our boarders, there were no allies planning wars behind our backs, what a sad sad time it was, all was Rome.
I hopped on my horse and rode for a while, what does an emperor do when there's no more battles.
Steve
:lol: So, Steve, now what? Food, sleep?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote::lol: So, Steve, now what? Food, sleep?

I might try getting one of those things…what’s it called…oh yea, a life. I’ll try experiencing the real life again, or at least until I hear the call to battle again.

My wife did a bad thing; she gave me Rome total war barbarian invasion. I’ll try to fight it as long as I can but I know my limits.
Steve
They are comming out with another expansion. I too am in conflict with my VR an RL. One side of me is an active Reenactor who loves to camp out side. I am also an Eagle Scout. On the other hand I love to read novels of scifi, fiction, and fantasy (Dragonlance, Forgotten realms, ect, and the series Emperor about JC). On one hand I am a loyal soldier of the empire on the other I am a wondering High Elf Mage whos people have been scattered across the lands.

Quick question I have already beaten the game taken rome and conqured the far reaches of the world, but every time I fight elephants i loose a large number of troops. What is the best Roman unit to use against them?

LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE
"I fear no enemy for the Legion is my strength. I fear not death for my strength is eternal."

Ben Geraci
Quote:They are comming out with another expansion. I too am in conflict with my VR an RL. One side of me is an active Reenactor who loves to camp out side. I am also an Eagle Scout. On the other hand I love to read novels of scifi, fiction, and fantasy (Dragonlance, Forgotten realms, ect, and the series Emperor about JC). On one hand I am a loyal soldier of the empire on the other I am a wondering High Elf Mage whos people have been scattered across the lands.

Quick question I have already beaten the game taken rome and conqured the far reaches of the world, but every time I fight elephants i loose a large number of troops. What is the best Roman unit to use against them?

LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE

I never got a chance to fight the elephants. When I was conquering Gaul and Spain the other two factions were fighting in Africa and Greece. When it came time to attack the other two factions, the elephants were out of the game. I did read that flaming pigs were supposed to frighten the elephants; maybe it was easier to take them out then.
Steve
Try archers throwing flame arrows, generally elephants are routed after some barrage
AKA Inaki
This game does some serious damage to my free time, too. I almost fear to buy the Barbarian Invasions... I just don't see where work, RAT, RA.com, family, and beloved boyfriend are going to coexist with the gaming, if I start back at it again. Smile

I see there are a bunch of mods for RTW, too. Not really familiar with them all, but they seem tempting.
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Ah yes the balance of time. I too have had this problem. It is not easy. I thought Civilization 3 and its expansions were devistating on my life, but RTW has just replaced that.
"I fear no enemy for the Legion is my strength. I fear not death for my strength is eternal."

Ben Geraci
It also depends on whether you've modded the game or not. If you have RTR (Rome Total Realism) you don't have the luxury of burning bacon, so you have to find other means. Archers are out too because most of the Italian territories are devoid of them unless you hire mercenary Cretans. Units of Italian Skirmishers are effective against them, and Velites as well, just make sure they are in loose formation and they represent in force, a few volleys should take care of them, javelins are great at making elephants run amok, even though I usually keep throwing at them until they are all dead haha.
Rob
Tiberius Martius Julius
Gregalis
XIV GMV
Also be careful to leave the running amok elephants alone after you've won the battle, trying to mop up elephants is probably not a good idea haha. Hope it helps out...
Tiberius Martius
Rob
Rob
Tiberius Martius Julius
Gregalis
XIV GMV
Thanks for the info.

Ben Geraci
Have you ever tried a custom battle with lots of hefalumps against some Sarmatian Horse archers and a load of Foot Archers ?Its a lot of fun,but add a few onagers it then becomes hilarious!!!!
Timeo Danaos et Dona ferentes

Andy.(Titus Scapula Clavicularis)
This game runs my life. So much to conquer so little time................................................................................................................................Oh sorry ah yes what were we talking about? Busy conquering. They now have a full boxed set that you can buy that has every single total war game ever! *shuts down computer and runs to store*
Legionare Vibius Atimonius
Ben Hathaway[/i]
Quote:This game runs my life. So much to conquer so little time................................................................................................................................Oh sorry ah yes what were we talking about? Busy conquering. They now have a full boxed set that you can buy that has every single total war game ever! *shuts down computer and runs to store*
Yeah if I didn't live in a University or participate in athletics, that'd probably be the end of my social life...
Rob
Tiberius Martius Julius
Gregalis
XIV GMV
I hear there is another expansion, Rome Alexander or somesuch... Anyone have?
James Gelston
AKA Czar Gelstonov, Slim J.G., Jape-toup, Gale
(Don\'\'t ask.)

Quae caret ora cruore nostro? - Horace

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Players needed Rome Total War Warrior of Italia 7 3,271 11-24-2018, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Stug50
  Rome 2 Total Realism 3 released JaM 2 5,915 12-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Timus
  Rome: Total War II rononmaximus 250 91,245 10-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Last Post: womble67