Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Thracian Greek helmet
I can't go anywhere nowadays without finding one of these....
[Image: dscf0078hoplitelj7.th.jpg]
He admitted the shield was incorrect, but I don't think it was fibreglass....
Part of the Legion XIIII/RMRA History of the Roman Army, covering through to the Graeco Italian Hoplite (Graeco Apulian's had Lakedaemonian ancestry) with some modifications to the kranos....(that's RAT's 'Celer' in the background....)

(I know fibreglass aspises are not authentic.....but would probably be a damn sight cheaper than the real thing, why didn't the Hoplites invent fibreglass..... then no need to feel embarrased :lol: :lol: )
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
@Comerus Gallus Romus:

Thanks for the image. The early Thracian is pretty cool. I wish your example had a crest though. Sad
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
I am from Bulgaria. I have completed archaeology.
Possibly my english is little ill for which I apologize

This is an russian forum in which I participate. I hope that it is useful

http://www.tforum.info/cgi-bin/ikonboar ... =5103;st=0
Quote:I am from Bulgaria. I have completed archaeology.

Wow, these pictures are great! I would very much like to understand Russian... Cry

Is the forum only about greek history and archaeology or also about the Roman period?

Kind regards,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
The forum is about history, archaeology, and ..., not only greek history.
This is the opening page:

http://www.tforum.info/cgi-bin/ikonboar ... act=SC;c=6

Tomorrow I will show right for the Roman period
Quote:I am from Bulgaria. I have completed archaeology.

Wow, that was a huuuge thread. It's a shame that I don't know Russian.
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
Is that a reconstruction of this helmet?

[Image: post-14-00492-iron_helm.jpg]

Very nice, who made it?

This Russian forum is SOOO great, I can only see the pictures but hey Big Grin
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Hello,
I'm sorry that our languages are different.
Here http://forum.boinaslava.net/showthread.php?t=7714 is my article: "The thracian helmet. Appearance and incidence". You are use the pictures.
I think that from this pictures the helmet its back. Like this helmet finding
in Kazanluk tomb.
The last 2 images are from Philip II tomp.
Tha last image is phot in the Thesaloniki Meuseum.
Kind regards
Ekdromos reconstruction with Thracian helmet (From Osprey Greek Hoplite 480-323)

Alexandrian era hoplite with Thracian helmet

Speaking of underused helmets... how many reenactors wear Illyrian style?
[Image: parsiaqj0.png]
[size=92:7tw9zbc0]- Bonnie Lawson: proudly Manx.[/size]
Your second image: http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/9285 ... a01bq1.jpg Is exactly what I am looking for. The problem is, I have never seen an armorer make one. Sad
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Quote:
paulaallen:2d9v1ypc Wrote:So where were they at Watford? They were invited. Perhaps they were ashamed of their fibre-glass shields.

I think that fibre-glass shields if look as accurate like those, its a great option for battle reenactment!... instead of damaging your own good acccurate made shield by the sword or spears!.

Why I saw Athanasios using a difererent shield instead of its own?... for the same reason? :lol:

It was sad that they too didnt make it.... let me include them in S. your G kit.

I hope they make it to 2008 at Nashville along with Atha/Philip! :wink:

Who knows if a mavros Alexander would appear with a rented horse! 8)

Paul one of them is a Rat member or some are.

Atha didn't use his own shield because of problems in transporting it. He actually makes fibre-glass shields and tests their battle-worthiness by throwing a mallet at them. I take your point about not wanting to spoil an enormously expensive shield ( 6 or seven times the cost of a Viking one; nearly 3 times the cost of a scutum), but I think, when you're filming, you should use parade kit. Fibre-glass never quite looks right, especially when worn alongside the real thing! To be honest, I'm a little envious of Legio X1111 getting the film contract despite not having proper kit ( except in a few, very obvious, cases) but, then, I don't think the Hoplite Association had enough fully-equipped warriors to do the shoot, when those videos were made.

I'm against fibre-glass in re-enactment for the reason given above and I wouldn't want to rely on it in combat (pace, Atha). I'm much more inclined to use RLQM's aluminium shields for combat, along with spears with fake heads ( and sauroters, come to think of it!). Mind you, some people would say my kit isn't up to standard because I bought the shield-fittings ready-made. My reply would be, when I can buy bronze fittings at £2:50 each, I'll upgrade!
Quote:I can't go anywhere nowadays without finding one of these....
[Image: dscf0078hoplitelj7.th.jpg]
He admitted the shield was incorrect, but I don't think it was fibreglass....
Part of the Legion XIIII/RMRA History of the Roman Army, covering through to the Graeco Italian Hoplite (Graeco Apulian's had Lakedaemonian ancestry) with some modifications to the kranos....(that's RAT's 'Celer' in the background....)

(I know fibreglass aspises are not authentic.....but would probably be a damn sight cheaper than the real thing, why didn't the Hoplites invent fibreglass..... then no need to feel embarrased :lol: :lol: )
regards

Arthes

Yes, if only... Mind you, I'm not sure how cheap they are. Atha did mention price, but I can't remember.
Quote:Hello,
I'm sorry that our languages are different.
Here http://forum.boinaslava.net/showthread.php?t=7714 is my article: "The thracian helmet. Appearance and incidence". You are use the pictures.
I think that from this pictures the helmet its back. Like this helmet finding
in Kazanluk tomb.

Welcome, Gladiator,

Thanks for the interesting links.
Quote:Ekdromos reconstruction with Thracian helmet (From Osprey Greek Hoplite 480-323)

Alexandrian era hoplite with Thracian helmet

Speaking of underused helmets... how many reenactors wear Illyrian style?

First image shows a Thespian hoplite during a raid.

In the second image I do not know where did they find the images of my friend N. Panos but their comment on the hoplite might be misleading as this image was made fo the "Xenophons Myrrioi" that was pulished in Athens 4 years ago and the caption did not mention anything about Athenians. I do not know where theu got these idea.

Kind regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thracian helmet images? richard robinson 2 1,802 02-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Last Post: richard robinson
  Phyrgian / Thracian helmet? Gaius Julius Caesar 13 4,884 12-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Decebalus
  Early Greek siege towers Eleatic Guest 4 3,531 01-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell