Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Thracian Greek helmet
Yeah I thought Athenians had bronze cuirasses by that point.

What makes the 'Ekdromos' a Thespian hoplite in that picture?
[Image: parsiaqj0.png]
[size=92:7tw9zbc0]- Bonnie Lawson: proudly Manx.[/size]
WHAT IS THIS Confusedhock:

Is it a reconstruction or what!? If it is real I would definitely want a copy of this helmet! It looks wicked!! Wow!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
off-topic:

welcome to RAT, Gladiator!

could you please add your real (first) name is your signature (Forum rules).
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Yes, welcome Gladiator,

the pictures in Your Russian forum are phantastic, is there any possibility to transcribe the letters into Latin ones?

BTW, in the other site of Your forum I found further pictures, among others a wonderful depiction of a Greek hoplon - I was so bold to open an own topic about that picture, because I was afraid that it could be overseen here.

One laudes point for You, Gladiator !!!

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Quote:That pletena helmet?...Of course who dont want that baby.

I don't. Oh, I'd take it, as a gift, Tongue but I don't like that type of crest at all. Thracian helmets just don't do it for me - give me a crested Corinthian, anytime! Or even an Attic or Illyrian.
Quote:[

I dont want to heard you what an ugly helm Gioi is wearing, if I have one made, probably you did already with my philip helm! :x lol: [/b]

Oh, it suits you, Sir! And I don't think it's ugly, I just can't get excited about it. If you want ugly, you need the pylos. Now there's a dopy-looking piece of kit! (No offence meant to the Spartans, who wear the damn' things - well, only in respect of their taste) Tongue
Well, nothing beats the looks of the ol' good Corinthian. Smile
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
[Image: thracian_gladiator_helm.jpg]

this is a thracian gladiator helm from the time of spartacus.

i found it on Ancient Bulgaria
Quote:this is a thracian gladiator helm from the time of spartacus.

Hi 'eimmo1' (could you please include your real name in your signature? -- forum rules. thanks),

I'm afraid that's not a gladiator helmet and it doesn't date to the time of Spartacus. It's a Greek helmet of Corinthian type, and dates about 400 years before Spartacus' time.

It's in the National Museum of History in Sofia, Bulgaria, and featured on the cover of Lendon's book, Soldiers and Ghosts (I saw it recently on the cover of another book about ancient warfare, but I can't remember what it was called).
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:[Image: thracian_gladiator_helm.jpg]

this is a thracian gladiator helm from the time of spartacus.

i found it on Ancient Bulgaria
The helmet have nothing common with the gladiators. It is find near to Sofia. It is dated the end of 6 - the beginning of 5 century BC.
Kallimachos has posted some excellent photos of a thracian helmet from the Hetairoi group in Show here your Greek warrior impression Big Grin
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Honor to those who in the life they lead
define and guard a Thermopylae.
Never betraying what is right,
consistent and just in all they do
but showing pity also, and compassion
Kavafis the Alexandrian
That's an awesome Thracian! Why can't I ever find this amazing helmet in armory repertoires?? Websites show no Thracian love, only Corinthian and Phrygian love.
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Well Gladiator< your site is very interesting! I wish I could understand Russian! :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Mythos, you could always try getting a helmet custom made if you've got the extra bucks. :wink:

Still haven't decided whether I want a panoply or not... I doubt I'll be able to afford one in a long time, but I think I'm beginning to lean towards a Thracian helmet, maybe as one of Xenophon's soldiers.
[Image: parsiaqj0.png]
[size=92:7tw9zbc0]- Bonnie Lawson: proudly Manx.[/size]
Zeno: Too many reenactors use the Corinthian. Wink

I too would like a panoply. I guess the way for us of limited means to acquire one is to buy one piece at a time.
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thracian helmet images? richard robinson 2 1,803 02-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Last Post: richard robinson
  Phyrgian / Thracian helmet? Gaius Julius Caesar 13 4,884 12-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Decebalus
  Early Greek siege towers Eleatic Guest 4 3,531 01-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell