Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
X-Rays Reveal Archimedes Secrets
X-Rays Reveal Archimedes Secrets

Theo
Jaime
This has apparently been going on for quite some time.
See archimedespalimpsest.org/ for full details.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Wow. I completely absorbed the whole web site in one gulp! Discoveries like these totally fascinate me, I pray that modern science can help us making more such findings, blessed be parchment. Laudes awarded.

Now a question: Is there any book or online source which traces the spatiotemporal path of extant ancient literature, that is which shows from which source (Greek, Latin, Arabic) which work has come to us?
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
PS:
Quote:The public can watch the researchers as they reveal the glowing ancient text during a live webcast at 2300 GMT on 4 August.

Do not miss it. 8)
Quote: online source which traces the spatiotemporal path of extant ancient literature, that is which shows from which source (Greek, Latin, Arabic) which work has come to us?

Ever since the dot-compost online sources have been rather thin and getting rarer. When is the last time you saw a whole new work go up at Perseus for example?

Rather than source information personally I would love to see the IG go online, but I doubt it will ever happen…

EDIT: Interesting in all the media stories about new Archimedes texts, I’m disappointed that I heard not a single word to the effect that they also have at least 10 new pages of Hyperides. Kill some Romans with nifty machines, and everyone remembers you, defend democracy against Alexander’s importation of absolutism and be forgotten
Paul Klos

\'One day when I fly with my hands -
up down the sky,
like a bird\'
And don't forget that in Oxford they are still working on 500.000 papyrus fragments collected somewhere between 1880 and 1930, of which 5% is researched (the bigger ones) and 1% published!
With the new technique described in the article, next thing they'll research is a load of payrus masks, which the researchers are sure one were made from layers upon layers of whole texts... Who knows what lost books will turn up?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:And don't forget that in Oxford they are still working on 500.000 papyrus fragments collected somewhere between 1880 and 1930, of which 5% is researched (the bigger ones) and 1% published!

Cool, never heard of those! Big Grin And add to them the tens of thousands Mesopotamian cuneiforms still waiting in European museum basements for a proper clasification and decipherment. Ok, while they might not have developed then proper historiography and philosophy, these texts still could tell us a lot about these people and their life.

It is a sad thing though, that out of climatical reasons Papyri only survived in Egypt in quantity, if we knew about other Roman provinces what we knew now of Egypt, our knowledge about the Roman world would probably triple.

On the other hand, we can call ourselves lucky that the ancients used parchment from an early time on, take a look at China, where Bamboo strips only survived in the arid northern and north-western frontier, buried in the sand. Not to mention the Indians who made the fateful decision to write on easily decomposable palm tree leaves: Result: Innumerable Indian classical works are lost forever and the holes in the historical transmission are so great that much of Indian history comes as patchy, loosely related stories to us to the point that the general narrative is often not reconstructable anymore.

Then again, Roman history also becomes increasing like this from the 3rd century onwards. Sad
Quote:It is a sad thing though, that out of climatical reasons Papyri only survived in Egypt in quantity, if we knew about other Roman provinces what we knew now of Egypt, our knowledge about the Roman world would probably triple.

Plus keep in mind that these researchers literally fought aginst the clock because rural Egyptians had come to appreciate ancient sites for those papyrus fragments - they advertised them in fact as great fertilizer! Confusedhock:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Maybe someday I can read those lost books of Livy! Big Grin
Rich Marinaccio
I think I saw the "X-Rays Reveal Archimedes Secrets" on TV. Yes some times TV can be educational!

GIRASKO AEI DIDASKOMENOS - I learn as I grow old
Is just that life is not enough when it comes to learn new things :evil:

Kind regards
"It's like receiving a fax from the 3rd Century BC,"
Well......maybe not impossible after all.... :wink:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Another manuscript partially deciphered with the help of X-Rays :

Between the lines: A rare Ancient Greek text is found

Dates to the conquest of Athens by Philip of Macedon.

Theo
Jaime
Quote:This has apparently been going on for quite some time.

Yep. Conservators and Conservations Scientists have been using the method for at least 20 years that I know of. It's just a matter of fine-tuning the x-ray machine. It became considerably easier when we got digitalized x-ray machines, though - you don't have to waste 15 exposures (1-2 minutes exposure, 10-15 minutes to develop each: that makes 3-4 hours (typically more) for each picture) to find the result; all you've got to be careful about is potential pigment damage from the x-rays, but that is seldom a big problem.

Often, the media gets whiffs of "the miracles of science" decades after the methods came into use.
Quote:Another manuscript partially deciphered with the help of X-Rays :

Theo

Theo, it's not a different manuscript. The work of Hyperides is also included in the Archimedes Palimpsest.
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

Quote:
Theodosius the Great:131fn0kv Wrote:Another manuscript partially deciphered with the help of X-Rays :

Theo, it's not a different manuscript. The work of Hyperides is also included in the Archimedes Palimpsest.

Actually, it is. The monks used another ancient manuscript as material for that part of their palimpsest. So in fact they used the vellum of several MSS, one more of which has now been recovered.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Syracuse, Archimedes and its walls. MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS 11 3,637 04-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering
  Greek Laser of Death - Archimedes RUBICON 27 12,215 05-29-2007, 09:53 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Books on Archimedes of Syracuse? Anabasis 1 1,448 09-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering