Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet Lining
Quote:Is there any patterns or documentation for this cap. Being that I want to do this right (as possible) it would be a shame to make a modern type lining for my soon to arrive Gallic H to only find out the cap is the correct way to go....

There's a reconstruction of the Dura cap. http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... eneasf.jpg

Try this link to a .pdf file..

http://www.legion-regensburg.de/acap.pd ... s%20cap%22
Here's a plan I made for someone interested in making the Dura cap. Hopefully it'll be finished soon and I'll have a new arming cap.

[url:3fp714b5]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i311/tarbicus/dura_side.jpg[/url]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
A thought just hit me looking at the Dura Europa "arming cap". If there were a leather thong tied to the earflap, would it not make sense for that to go through the ring on the cheekpiece of the helmet, thus binding the helmet to the cap, under the chin?

Just a thought. Don't kill me.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:A thought just hit me looking at the Dura Europa "arming cap". If there were a leather thong tied to the earflap, would it not make sense for that to go through the ring on the cheekpiece of the helmet, thus binding the helmet to the cap, under the chin?

We must remember that the helmet of the day for this period would have probably been the ridge or spangenhelm type. I'm not sure how the tie-arrangement was fashioned on these helmets.
A lot of scuta for 1st/2nd C use are taken from the Dura scutum, aren't they?

I don't actually remember there being a tie cords mentioned with the original find. However, I have a more medieval linen arming cap similar in shape, and putting the ties through the cheekpiece rings really does help keep the helmet stable and in place.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I was very pleased with the Armae helmet padding suggestion that was given me by Faventianus earlier in this thread. I had it in time for our event at the museum and it worked better than any I'd tried before.
In fact, I'd have to say it was perfect.

Er,um, are we still talking about helmet lining or literary sources for them? I sometimes lose track. :?
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread.

I just stumbled over Riggisberger Berichte Band 13: Textiles in situ Their Find Spots in Egypt and Neighbouring Countries in the First Millennium CE edited by Sabine Schrenk (256 pages, 118 illustrations, 2006)

It contains an article by Ulla Mannering on textiles from Mons Claudianus with a strange cap sewn together from triangles of thick yellow green and red felt (p. 156 Fig. 6-7 Nr. MC1110) which the author interprets as an arming cap because is also has neck and cheek flaps which would fit nicely into a helmet.

I had been aware of the Dura arming cap but not of this one. I have not found anything on the Mons Claudianus cap on this forum and therefore thought it may be of interest.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
If there's a picture of that one, it would be very revealing. I'd like to see one. It's not that different from what I'm doing, except I glue the padded cap into the helmet. Had to be padding, even in the cheeks, not just a light leather lining. Linen over wool felt seems a good choice to me...but without any photos, it's just conjecture of speculation.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:If there's a picture of that one, it would be very revealing. I'd like to see one. It's not that different from what I'm doing, except I glue the padded cap into the helmet. Had to be padding, even in the cheeks, not just a light leather lining. Linen over wool felt seems a good choice to me...but without any photos, it's just conjecture of speculation.

I could send you a copy of the article if you PM me your email address. There is a nice photo and the cap appears to be fairly well preserved but thanks to the copying machine at the local library you will not be able to see much on my copy.However, there is also a fairly clear line drawing.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Quote:Robert wrote: The cap was most probably the felt cap worn inside the helmet, not the pilleus pannonicus which would not fit inside a helmet and does not well function as a shock absorder either.

My pilleus from Adrian at Armamentaria works perfectly under my Burgh helmet.......in fact I'm wearing it in my pic on the left!
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:It contains an article by Ulla Mannering on textiles from Mons Claudianus with a strange cap sewn together from triangles of thick yellow green and red felt (p. 156 Fig. 6-7 Nr. MC1110) which the author interprets as an arming cap because is also has neck and cheek flaps which would fit nicely into a helmet.
I vaguely recall that - are you sure it has not been mentioned here before?

Quote:
Quote:Robert wrote: The cap was most probably the felt cap worn inside the helmet, not the pilleus pannonicus which would not fit inside a helmet and does not well function as a shock absorder either.
My pilleus from Adrian at Armamentaria works perfectly under my Burgh helmet.......in fact I'm wearing it in my pic on the left!
Are you sure your pilleus is not squashed? A good pilleus should be a bit stiff, right?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Are you sure your pilleus is not squashed? A good pilleus should be a bit stiff, right?

Trust me, my pilleus works just fine...... :roll:
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:Trust me, my pilleus works just fine
Ahh, the boasting of youth. I remember those days.... :roll: Big Grin
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Funnily enough, the liningI am doing for my Gallic A look a lot like a pileus when worn alone LOL
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hi all!

I know is not a roman helmet, but anyway I would like to show you the padding of one of my helmets, maybe it can be helpful fo someone or give some ideas to do a new one

[Image: imag0171r.th.jpg] [Image: imag0172.th.jpg] [Image: imag0170.th.jpg]
Javier Sanchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Helmet lining for late roman helmets Virilis 11 4,525 02-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Helmet lining Kernow 31 6,650 02-21-2008, 04:24 AM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio
  Suggestions on Helmet Lining? Innis 21 6,195 09-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus