Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vitis "Beating Stick"
Marcvs if its the smallest stick you after you can have it and if you have an pic of the Tribvnes stick I can probably make one no problem Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
I sent you an email, Tony. :wink:

Vale,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Marcvs will Email you tomorrow, but the cost is zero no Pounds ,Euros or Dollars I was given it, I can make a new one if I want so you can have it Big Grin It is 525mm long and 25mm thick along length with a lanyard and a good size ball on the end.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Quote:Marcvs will Email you tomorrow, but the cost is zero no Pounds ,Euros or Dollars I was given it, I can make a new one if I want so you can have it Big Grin It is 525mm long and 25mm thick along length with a lanyard and a good size ball on the end.

Wow, that's great Tony, thanks! I'm very grateful, my commilitiones will be very envious, and our civilian contingent will soon be very distressed :lol:

Kindest regards,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Concerning the regular vitis. We always try to make things look "new and shiny and beautiful", but do you think the centurion had the best, fanciest grapevine with the most character, or did he just have a stick for discipline, the first one he picked up? My opinion is the latter, as it was a tool for use, not a show sample to put on a wall display, but I'd like to hear what other people think.

The grapevines that grow wild around here are long, mostly just slightly curved, varying sized, not many twists and knots, etc., but I took a short piece of one and gave myself a whack across the thigh. Hurt like crazy, and left a red welt for a day or two. A harder hit would have made a decent bruise, and three or four of those across somebody's back would take them to their knees, I'm pretty sure. Ordinary. Flexible. Like a rubber hose, more or less.

Along those lines, do you think there would have been fancy leatherwork and engravings on a scourge handle? Fine wood engraving on a crucifixion beam? Or was it just an ordinary leather whip, and a plain old log?

Realism vs. Hollywood. We all have to fight it, don't we?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Do any of you know if the Roman Swagger-stick is a direct descendant of the stick that Spartans famously beat the allied soldiers under their charge with on a variety of occasions? Or is it simply a reinvention of a useful tool.

I also wonder about the transverse crest on centurions and if this had an (imaginary?) spartan origin.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"