Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lamellar and cataphract armour
Quote:Can someone produce an artistic representation of lamellar that only has horizontal lines and no vertical?

Have a look at Figure 3 at http://www.geocities.com/egfroth1/Khazars

BTW, that kataphrakt seems to have his limb armour in the style shown in figs 4 and 5 at http://www.angelfire.lycos.com/cgi-auth/webshell
"It is safer and more advantageous to overcome the enemy by planning and generalship than by sheer force"
The Strategikon of Emperor Maurice

Steven Lowe
Australia
Quote:I split the discussion in three, with lamellar and cataphract armour as a new part, since it is different from the 'leather segmentata' discussion.

Since the discussion about our friend from Australia begins to turn in a different (re-enactment) direction, I've split the post once more.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
hmmmmmm just like the origins of life, Cell division...... :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:hmmmmmm just like the origins of life, Cell division...... :lol:
Mitosis or Meiosis? :lol:

Awsome lamellar Egfroth in your avatar, btw.
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Just to quote an item on the lamellar in "Armor of the battle of Wisby 1361 Tome 1." format PDF
Chapitre VII (witharticle of lamellar find Dura, thibet...)
http://virtuabis.free.fr/Armour%20from% ... 0t%20I.pdf

And if you will the Tome II:
http://virtuabis.free.fr/Armour%20from% ... t%20II.pdf

Vale
Thanks Schneider for these Visby battle links! Laudes coming....
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Where does this armour originate? Where is Wisby? Sorry for my ignorence, but this is new to me. Heavy duty segmentaed armour, from a calveryman? And so many different suits! Amazing find! I could not open the first link which I assume was with explanatory text?

Amazing armour! Confusedhock: :o
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Wisby is in Gotland, Sweden, and the armour comes from mass graves after the battle there in 1361 AD. The invading Danes massacred a peasant Swedish army. The lamellar armour coems from aa slightly earlier period and was modified to suit more up to date armour models.

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
I am surprized they did not strip the dead of that equipment? :o ?
Strange.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
A hot summer and several days elapsed before burial...
Anyway, most corpses were stripped down before burial.

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Makes you wonder what a "peasant" army was doing with such fine armor.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
Gotlanders were rich peasants, Franklin, and the armour, if fine, was rather outdated :wink:

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Are there any 'Wisby' books in the Osprey series? I'd be interested to see an artist's rendition of what the full kit may have looked like.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Why do people look for an Osprey book when they want to study something? There are always better sources to go to. In this case the best book is "Armour from the Battle of Wisby" by Bengt Thordeman.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Quote:Why do people look for an Osprey book when they want to study something? There are always better sources to go to. In this case the best book is "Armour from the Battle of Wisby" by Bengt Thordeman.

Answer? Because I'm lazy! :lol:

Seriously, that's only half true (although I am decidedly lazy). I like the Osprey books because they offer a great, broad overview of a particular topic, and because they're cheap and very easily accesible. I tend to use them as a jumping-off point, not necessarily an in-depth analysis.

Also just like I said in this specific case, I'm particularly interested in seeing an artist's take on the full kit, which the Osprey books are famous for.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  scale/lamellar armour SAJID 7 2,545 05-19-2017, 12:25 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Lamellar vs. Scale Armour Eleatic Guest 5 3,645 04-17-2015, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Dan Howard
  New Byzantine lamellar armour found in Spain Thersites 4 3,454 07-03-2009, 12:57 AM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great