Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lamellar and cataphract armour
Avete,

I was wondering if this is an exampleof scale-locking armor (or "lamellar") that the Romans wore in the 3rd century.

If not, does anyone have a link to a photo of scale-locking plates ?

Thanks in advance.

Theo
Jaime
I have found the Osprey books to be desperately lacking in detail.

I like the division idea of lamallar being entirely self supporting (in the case that the plates are attached to each other in one fashion or another) and "scale" being attached to a backing. Though, what I remember my ideas of what scale is, though, even squamata would not count, as I had always envisioned each scale to be free hanging from the backing material. Thus I, personally, would describe squamata to be more of a hybrid of scale and lamellar. The closest historical find I have seen that I personally would call scale is Lorica Plumata.

Definitions, classifications, and terminologies are often widely open to interpretation.

Theodosius: those ones which you linked to are examples of Lorica Squamata.

Franklin: There are a few reconstructions of Wisby coats on this page.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Theo, those are 'common' scales. Locking-scales need to be tied by a staple at the lower end too. That's why they are easily mistaken by lamellae...
I have no on-line pic at hand to post here , sorry Sad

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:Gotlanders were rich peasants, Franklin, and the armour, if fine, was rather outdated :wink:

Aitor

Indeed, and most of them where not in armour at all. 500 danes and mercenarys killed of 1500 in a afternoon so there is proally more correct to talk about the Massacre of Visby. (Wisby is a very old spelling of the name and the name of the town is pronounced vith a very sharp v as in village! :wink: )
Aitor,

I suspected they were 'regular' scales, thank you for confirming that.

I've done some more reading on older threads and Dan Peterson says you need holes on all four sides to be classified as lamellar or locking-scale. It sounds like you've said as much.

But would locking-scale be inappropriate for making a shirt ? I read that locking-scales were only found in the form of leg armor.

Marcus,

Thank you for your answer as well :-) )

Theo
Jaime
Quote:But would locking-scale be inappropriate for making a shirt ? I read that locking-scales were only found in the form of leg armor.

Both of these links come from the first page of this thread.

This statue
and
This recreation
Might give you somewhere to start. I have also seen some engravings showing something that appears to be lamellar or locking scale styles of armor around the 6th century in Italy.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
That first image of the statue reminds me of an image of banded armour from asia, an image of which is on a thread here somewhere, IIRC!

Actually posted by Tarbicus earlier now that I look...
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
What do you guys make of these three ?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... eities.jpg
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Wow. Forgot about those.

Palmyran deities wearing what appears to be lamellar. But I'm confused about those horizontal bands separating each row :?

~Theo
Jaime
Lamellar rows are frequently padded with leather strips.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
Have you noticed the sleeves? They look padded and possibly braided below the elbow. The statue of the Tetrarchs and the statue of Valentinian (that stands before the Church of the Holy Sepulcher) also look like these.
Angus Finnigan
These are obviously eastern but dated to 1st or 2nd century AD but the swords appear to be Hispaniensis which dissapeared from use in the early 1st century BC.

Questions;

Why depict them with lamellar if Romanising them?

Was lamellar in use as earlty as 1st century BC?

Any reason why someone who had previously served in the east could not have rocked up in invading Britain with Claudius dressed in one of these ?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Quote:These are obviously eastern but dated to 1st or 2nd century AD but the swords appear to be Hispaniensis which dissapeared from use in the early 1st century BC.

Questions;

Why depict them with lamellar if Romanising them?

Was lamellar in use as earlty as 1st century BC?

Was lamellar in use then? most certainly it was.
Have a look at this thread. About 3/4 of the way down the page, read the quote posted by "Eleatic Guest"

Now, whether or not "Romans" were using lamellar? Well, I guess that would depend on how much "Romanising" has to happen before you consider them Roman.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
I was going to say mainz gladii with Hispaniensis hilts! :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Was lamellar in use then? most certainly it was.
Have a look at this thread. About 3/4 of the way down the page, read the quote posted by "Eleatic Guest".
Where in that quoted passage is the word "lamellar" used? In any case, an author who doesn't know what mail is can hardly be expected to know the difference between scale and lamellar.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  scale/lamellar armour SAJID 7 2,547 05-19-2017, 12:25 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Lamellar vs. Scale Armour Eleatic Guest 5 3,645 04-17-2015, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Dan Howard
  New Byzantine lamellar armour found in Spain Thersites 4 3,454 07-03-2009, 12:57 AM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great