Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cataphract armour
And the horse armour?

Still interested in how all this affects the performance of the horse.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

mailto:[email protected]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/">http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Quote:Hi guys, I found out who our ‘mystery cataphract’ is:

His name is Warren Lambley who unfortunately at the moment lives in a rural area abut an hour and a half outside Brisbane and does not have a working PC, my contact has promised to forward my enquiry on to him when he sees him in a couple of weeks. He is a member of Lion Rampant which is actually a late c14th re enactment group based in Brisbane Queensland. My contact also belongs to about a dozen guys who also have a 5th -7th century impression where they form a sub Roman/ Germanic comitatus which they jokingly call ‘Hasta Amorica’.

The gear Warren is wearing in photos is mostly made by him as he is a full time armourer. The saddle is one that was originally made for the television series Roar, another of the ‘comitatus’ members made the late roman military belt fittings and buckles that he is wearing.

I’ve invited them to join us on RAT, of course. Big Grin

Are these guys on the web anywhere? I'd love to see more pics, get an idea what their interpretation of 5th-7th c. unit looks like.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
Quote:Are these guys on the web anywhere? I'd love to see more pics, get an idea what their interpretation of 5th-7th c. unit looks like.
Alas, no. Cry
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Wow......how on earth did I miss this thread until now Confusedhock:
Now what a stunning sight that is .... Big Grin D
I adore that helm of Olibrius's too.....!
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
I can disclose that Warren Lambley, our Cataphract from Down Under, will soon join us as a new member on this forum!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Mail that was intended to be worn under lamellar would weigh nowhere near this much. IMO it would be closer to half this weight (5-6 kg). Historically only riveted mail that was intended to be the primary defense (i.e. not layered under something else) would weigh 10 kg.
I'm also unconvinced that the legs were covered with segmented plate. Most of the illustrations look more like traditional cloth leg bindings rather than metal armour.

Quote:Non pas autant! Not as much!
I would say towards the 35 kg

Simulation
Manica arms: 1.8 Kg
Lamellaire 4 Kg (option leger)
Maille 10
helmet 3.4
subarmalis 2
dress 1
belt 1
caligae 1
----------------
= 24.2 KG

adds another manica arms left: + 1.8kg

adds 2 manica for legs: 2.5 kg x2 = 5 kg.
(With thickness: 1mm)

For the moment 31 Kg, and without the shield (if) and contus and swords
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
So when is Warren going to be joining?

Dan, I hate to butt heads here, but many of the pics I've seen look alot like segmented plate on the legs!
I'm sure even one of the sources, don't ask me which, says some thing about bands of iron encasing the legs and arms. Not being an expert, only reading for the pleasure of it, I tend to forget where I read these things..... :roll: Big Grin

PS when are you going to post some more pics of you and your gear? Would like to see your weapons too. I assume you have a bronze Mycenae (Need to check on that spelling :oops: ) sword?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:So when is Warren going to be joining?
As soon as Jasper clears him. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Is he a dodgy character then? :lol:

Edit, well I suppose a catephracte running amok amongst us cultured Romans could do some damage!!! Confusedhock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Edit, well I suppose a catephracte running amok amongst us cultured Romans could do some damage!!!

You bet!
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/351/ca ... t232hq.jpg
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
:lol: That looks like a totalwar image? is it?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Oh yes, found it with "Google" of course, seemed to fit your comment :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Avete,

Wow, Olibrius and Warren Lambley look great ! Confusedhock: 8)

BTW, I recently took these snapshots from "Fall of the Roman Empire"

Cataphract Charge

Cataphract Warfare

Interesting helmet

Cataphract Armor

Horse Armor

Throw your pila !

Take that, Persian scum ! Big Grin

FOUR columns of Persians !

The Hordes of Persia

I hope Graham Sumner sees these. It's his favorite Roman flick Smile

~Theo
Jaime
WOW, so when did this film come out?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

It's worth owning even though it may not be a great film to watch, IMO. It was filmed on a MASSIVE scale. Lots of extras (the Spanish Army), the best costumes (IMO), the best sets, Sir Alec Guinness, James Mason, Christopher Plummer, Anthony Quayle and Omar Sharif Big Grin

(Oh yeah, and Stephen Boyd, Sophia Loren :roll: )... :wink:

~Theo
Jaime