Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet: chin strap and padding
Not an uncommon problem Paul. If we look at the Riace statues one or both seem to have a wide sphendone? to protect the brow from chafing as do other warrior figures - i'll double check.I have a couple of examples I will have to resize and post and I think an example of what looks like an arming cap peaking from under a helmet. It may take a day or so to find
Peter Raftos
Arming cap examples here
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... arming+cap
better here
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... arming+cap

Kind regards
Precisely the arming cap images I was thinking of.

Among the materials used for the lining of helmets were felt (Hom. Iliad. x.265) and sponge.

Homer: “ Meriones found a bow and quiver for Ulysses, and on his head he set a leathern helmet that was lined with a strong plaiting of leathern thongs, while on the outside it was thickly studded with boar's teeth, well and skilfully set into it; next the head there was an inner lining of felt.â€
Peter Raftos
Peter Thanks, laudes
I agree with all except the interpretation of "embroidered" in the Homeric passage. I will look it through though.

Kind regards
Quote:Peter Thanks, laudes
I agree with all except the interpretation of "embroidered" in the Homeric passage. I will look it through though.

Kind regards

Those first two pottery paintings that you posted, how do you know they depict arming caps and not just normal caps?
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Corinthian Helmet padding and strap Pegasus 2 1,521 09-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Pegasus