Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whereabouts of Late Roman ex-Guttmann helmet?
It would be extremely interesting for my Intercisa IV project to check some details of the ex-Guttmann incomplete late Roman helmet.

[Image: GuttmannChristies.jpg]

I've managed to contact Hermann Born, who gave some data aobut the helmet on a paper, but it seems that he wasn't able to take any photos or record anything when he restored the helmet for Axel Guttmann the very same year the famous collector died. Dead end... Sad

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:I've managed to contact Hermann Born but it seems that he wasn't able to take any photos or record anything when he restored the helmet for Axel Guttmann the very same year the famous collector died. Dead end... Sad

Aitor

Aitor,

What a bummer! How amazingly disappointing and what a loss for scholarship on the subject. Where does the helmet reside now? Is it in a private collection or a museum?
L.E. Pearson
That's the million dollar question, Lucianus...
Nobody bade for the lot at Cristie's auction but I haven't been able to get any news on the helmet's whereabouts later! Sad

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:That's the million dollar question, Lucianus...
Nobody bade for the lot at Cristie's auction but I haven't been able to get any news on the helmet's whereabouts later! Sad

Aitor

Wow, so its probably sitting in a box somewhere with the rest of the unsold items Confusedhock: . Would the executors of his estate perhaps have an idea of its location. They would probably have been responsible for disposing of his collection and one would imagine that the unsold items would have reverted to them. Its an avenue to explore if you haven't already.

L.
L.E. Pearson
I'd do if I had the proper contacts to start... :?

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Quote:I'd do if I had the proper contacts to start... :?

Aitor

Aitor,

I'm sorry if I'm going back over ground you've already traversed Sad .

I would think information about the estate would be in the public record. I'd try looking for it myself if I spoke any German but I'm afraid I'm about one step away from useless when it comes to that (to my great annoyance let me just say). I assume the contacts at Christies aren't any help? Perhaps one of our RAT members in Germany might be able to help dig up info about the estate, I assume the will was from there.

L.
L.E. Pearson
BTT :wink:

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Maybe that helps ...

[url:2v76udxb]http://www.gbi.de/r_ubrowsing/ax/axel_guttmann_vermoegensverwaltungs-gmbh.html[/url]
Jens Wucherpfennig
Quote:Nobody bade for the lot at Cristie's auction but I haven't been able to get any news on the helmet's whereabouts later! Sad

Looks like the Lot was sold at the Christies Auction for 5975 pounds (Lot 163, I have the Christies Auciton Book). I would guess that means it is in some private collection now.....

Too bad

http://www.christies.com/auction/result ... 524&page=2
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Many thanks, Jens and Markus! Big Grin
As I've formerly said... Dead end! Sad

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Aitor,

Why not try contacting the department in London, they can contact the new owner for you to see if he/she is willing to give you some help. Ask for Sarah Hornsby, and if you think it may help, mention my name - it might work!

Good luck,

Celer.
Marcus Antonius Celer/Julian Dendy.
Thanks, Julian Big Grin
Perhaps the last desperate try... :roll:
Do you think that it would suffice to send them an e-mail, or something more 'formal' would be needed? :?
Lot 163, isn't it?
Should I address to Sarah Hornsby as 'Miss' or Mistress'? :roll:

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Riving this thread from the dead. Did anyone ever get any further information or photos of the helmet. What shame if it has disappeared into a closet.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
In my opinion this helmet belongs to the human race not just whoever has the cash to buy it. Its terrible that this is sitting in some private collection collecting dust. It would be terrible if this thing is mishandled or lost because heirs don't know what it is. I have heard of priceless art being pawned like it was some garage sale item.
Marcus--

It is much more likely to "collect dust" in a "public collection" than in a private one. The world's museums have warehouses full of important artifacts that are seldom, if ever put on public display, published or made available for study. Most "private" collectors or Roman military artifacts I know are constantly putting their materials on loan to important museums, arranging echibitions of their own, or making it available for scholars for study.

I was able to examine this helmet closely some years back, before the first Christie's Guttman sale, and have a couple pictures of it posted on the Legio VI Victrix "Real Gear" page. I will make some inquiries as to who the present owner might be. My guess is the piece is undergoing careful conservation and will be made available for study and/or exhibition quite soon.

http://www.legionsix.org/images/intercisa.jpg

http://www.legionsix.org/images/intercisaint.jpg
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christies Late Roman helmet: 1 or 2? Robert Vermaat 96 24,430 09-21-2018, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Late Roman Centurion Helmet Connor Augustus 3 1,835 12-22-2014, 10:00 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria caiusbeerquitius 115 30,052 07-12-2014, 08:52 AM
Last Post: Urselius