Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Julian and the invasion of Persia
Many thanks Carlo for such an indepth response, this whole subject has opened up new areas to me in my research, I did not think I'd be looking at Gothic units when pursuing information on Julian's Persian invasion!
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Glad it helped, Paul.
Besides contingents sent to Julian and Procopius, there are a few similar circumstances between 332AD and 365AD which historians generally consider as constant evidence of this aspect of the treaty of 332AD: a Gothic contingent sent to fight on the Persian frontier in 348 AD (Libanius Or. 59.92), a force of Taifali (allied and constantly linked to Goths) sent to help Constantius II against Quado-Sarmatians in 358 AD (Ammianus, XVII.13.19-20) , a contingent of Goths which joined Constantius' planned campaign against Persians in 359/60 AD (Ammianus XX.8.1); then, Julian and Procopius.
Vale
Iuppiter Optimus Maximus resistere atque iterare pugnam iubet
(Liv. I.12)

Tiberius Claudius Nero
a.k.a. Carlo Sansilvestri

CONTUBERNIUM
SISMA - Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi
Carlo wrote:
Quote:Libanius (Or. 12.78 ) says that Goths asked Julian for a change in the treaty, but their request was rejected; the gothic troops supporting Julian in Persia in 363 may be a proof that Goths were still obeying the treaty in 363, and , if this is true, it should probably be seen as consequence of the fact that Romans were still able to impose their will.

IVLIANE VIVAS!
:wink:

Paul it's seems that an useful improvement was done since your first post, and now you have more "bread for your teeth" (italian expression)! Big Grin

Just a pray to all the posters in this important thread: don't forget it in the fog of the "deep RAT" archive, but please bookmark this page and update it with new evidences of units as soon as you get it. Thank you very much.

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Daniele, I am extremely pleased that I can ask a question here on RAT and recieve a most welcome and incredibly useful deluge of academic information. Many of us are academics (I cannot claim to be such, but I am a writer, and have a university degree in Roman & Greek history!) and I am constantly amazed by the friendly way in which information, references and research is shared here on RAT. Confusedhock:

I certainly like to think of myself as belonging to a little brotherhood of Roman re-enactors and researchers around the world. Smile
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
What is the Italian for that expression? In English the same meaning would be: 'more grist for the mill' grist is an old word for grain that is destined to be ground in the mill ... a very old saying indeed!!!

Quote: Paul it's seems that an useful improvement was done since your first post, and now you have more "bread for your teeth" (italian expression)!
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
Quote:What is the Italian for that expression?

The italian expression is: "Hai trovato pane per i tuoi denti!".

In Italy, it can be used above all when one finds a fierce opponent, and also when one finds enough or superabundant materials or the a finely adequate equipment for whatever action he has to do, like here for your research or for example, when a passionate man runs into a very passionate woman... :wink:

And yes, you're right, RAT is really a "special" place. Smile

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]