Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Foot Armor
Saying that, a hoplites feet were pretty vulnerable too! Imagine a buttspike or spear in the foot! You would be a sitting duck then! Confusedhock:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Similar armor elements exist in Olympia and Athens.
I am nore inclined to think though that it was used by horsemes rather than footmen.
An aristokratic horseman could have afford such details and they were more usefull to his exposed feet.
In hoplite battle your oponent had his spear in "proptosis" (vertical)
So no saurotir there. If he could use his saurotin it meant that were on the ground and about to be dispached by the rear rankers.
Kind regards
Among the bits of Bactrian cataphract armour from c. 250 BC found in the arsenal at Ai-Khanoum was an armoured "slipper," thought it didn't have any kind of decoration to make it resembe a foot.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
OK I see your point, but I was under the impression that the classical greek calvery were quite lightly equiped? Now they are heavy catephracts? :roll: :wink: :?

I just envision a scenario where perhaps the rear rankers may have a stab at the opposing fronts feet, but not sure how likely that could be.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Light cavalry did exist.
Heavy havlary had cuiras grieves and helmets.
But certain individuals would be better armored than the rest.

I have posted images of bits and piece from ancient Greek horse armor in the thread about horses and cavalry in this section

Your scenario cannot function. 3rd rank cannot reach much if first 2 ranks are engaged in synaspismos.

Kind regards
Whatever! 8) :wink: I only have imagination and books I have read to go by sadly! (or maybe not so sadly, if other option is the reality! Confusedhock: )

Was just a thought!

But seems many sources make an issue of the fact that early calvery was not heavily equiped untill later periods, say Alexanders era etc?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
From Olympia Museum:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178 ... armor1.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178 ... armor2.jpg
Kind regards