Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Helmet - please help!
Regards to all,i am new here.Please can someone provide me some informations about this old helmet? I've found it in northern Serbia(East europe) but on a place that's very close to Romania.I appreciate any help and looking for every information.
Move to OT?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
looks like another fake :roll:
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
Looks like some of the WW1 officers helmets.
Steve
I agree with Steve, it could be a bit older, though that is not my field of expertise :oops:
In any case, neither a fake but nor Roman too! :wink:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
you mean some kind of 19th century cavalry or something like that? I thought about something like that as well but I don't know much about such things. Just thought that IF it was presented as Roman or Hellenistic it's a fake. :?
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
Hi

Looks like a pre WWI imperial Austro-Hungarian cavalry helmet with echoes of a classical design. The helmet bowl looks like it is leather as well. Napoleonic Austrian cuirassiers, dragoons and hussars all apparently wore leather helmets with metal fittings (I have even seen one decorated with an oak leaf sprig like the one illustrated above but do not know if that has any significance). Helmets based on classical designs remained popular until just after the outbreak of WW1

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Nap's Dragoons?
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Hi Ivan

Dragoons rode into battle but generally fought on foot.

(Looking forward to seeing you soon at Tarragona!)

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Consider that there are a dozens of antiquity dealers that are doing fakes, just in that part of Serbia- northern Serbia close to romania. So....
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
[\\]

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Quote:Hi

Looks like a pre WWI imperial Austro-Hungarian cavalry helmet with echoes of a classical design. The helmet bowl looks like it is leather as well. Napoleonic Austrian cuirassiers, dragoons and hussars all apparently wore leather helmets with metal fittings (I have even seen one decorated with an oak leaf sprig like the one illustrated above but do not know if that has any significance). Helmets based on classical designs remained popular until just after the outbreak of WW1

Graham.
The Oak branch suggests an Austrian hemet, but the rest of the helmet does not conform to any Austrian pattern that I know of. However, it certainly dates from around 1900 AD.
drsrob a.k.a. Rob Wolters
Quote:Hi Ivan

Dragoons rode into battle but generally fought on foot.

(Looking forward to seeing you soon at Tarragona!)

Graham.
Counting the days left! Big Grin
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Considering the place of the origin and the olive leaves

I think it is a British officers helmet of the Eptanesian regiments raised in the Napoleonic Wars. A similar helmet is depicted on a painting at Kensington palace showing an officer of this regiment.
Though some source mention Tarleton helmets for the officers.
Plus Theodoros Kolokotronis one of the 1821 revolutionary leaders was an major in the British Army and depicted with a similar helmet.

The oak leaves are a later addition in my opinion.

Kind regards
No it's not a fake,I've found this web site by desperately searching for any information that could help.I've found helmet about 3km far away from serbian arheological place,close to romanian border,i can post a picture.I would not ask you for origin if it's fake,right?.I don't know anything about helmets..anyway thanks a lot all of you for help.I just needed info..