Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modifying pilum for an \'authentic\' look!
Quote:Don't use steel pins..

Use wrought head nails (in the USA: ROCKLER wood working) ..2" shank.

Or use common nails. 2" box nail ought to do.

Place the nail in a vice to hammer the head, give it texture.

Don't worry about peening the opposite end. Lots of ends were crimped or layed flat.

Don't use modern washers and reshape them. Make a few square roves from scrap steel or brass. After your cut them out with shears or a chisel hammer them.

Punch a small hole just large enough to fit on the end of the "nail" and drive the rove home with a rivet setter or old circular punch.

,this sounds good, in fact I actually eyed some nails, thinking about what someone had said about using nail wire or wire nails for certain things. Nut don't have a work bench or a vise, which is why I was going to go for the anvil and hammer route, trying to make a head o one end, and dong as you suggested with the other! Was having a hard time finding good sheet iron/steel to do what you suggested, which was my plan, but perhaps when I get back from work next week, I will have more luck!

@Jef - Yes that is the very pilum, not as good as it appears then? ahh well!

Where was it going to break, the metal or the wood?

Regards and thanks for all the help, all of you!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Messages In This Thread
Re: Modifying pilum for an \'authentic\' look! - by Gaius Julius Caesar - 04-05-2007, 06:53 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Republican pilum is born: pilum of Castellruf tiberius aemilius naso 7 3,332 10-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Robert