Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cloak Fastening/Attaching Method
Quote:Would the fibula I cited above at http://www.lawrensnest.com/fibulas.html be acceptable, specifically the first one (the large omega style) or the second one (simple fibula)? Or are these fibulae not Roman as one person noted? Or do you have a link to another supplier?

I wouldn't use one of them. Go for making a simple one yourself or buy one from Christian Koepfer (see marketplace). www.replik.de/ has also very nice ones!
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:I wouldn't use one of them. Go for making a simple one yourself or buy one from Christian Koepfer (see marketplace). www.replik.de/ has also very nice ones!
Any instructions on how to make one? Like a link to a website, etc.

Randy Sampson
Quote:Any instructions on how to make one? Like a link to a website, etc.

Don't know a website at the moment. But I think it is quit simple. Just take 2 pieces of brass wire, one thick and a thinner one. Just make a circle from the thicker one, and a sort of needle from the thin one (use a file for making the point). You can easily make some nicer endings with some simple tools.
Good luck!
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Here you can see it tossed back and over the shoulder guard units:

That works because (evidently, at least) you anchor the clasp to the segmentata, right? I guess a simple hook could be used to hold the clasp to hamata, too. There has to be something, though, because like previously mentioned, the weight of the cloth will work its way to the throat if it's allowed to do so.

Soldiers over the left shoulder, centurions over the right. Hmm. Over the left, the sword arm is free, so that makes sense. with the cloth draped over the right arm, I guess it would have to be flipped back over the shoulder of the sword arm to get it out of the way. I do that with a paenula during a theatrical monolog presentation...throw the flap of the cloak back, draw the gladius quickly, and (almost) deliver a sword strike to someone in the front row. Dramatic. And actually pretty fast.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:
Quote:Here you can see it tossed back and over the shoulder guard units:

That works because (evidently, at least) you anchor the clasp to the segmentata, right? I guess a simple hook could be used to hold the clasp to hamata, too. There has to be something, though, because like previously mentioned, the weight of the cloth will work its way to the throat if it's allowed to do so.

Hey Dave, oddly enough I don't have any issues with it choking me. And I don't fasten it to my armour..just the overlapped cloak bits are pinned together. I dunno...it just works.

Randy, they are easy enough to make (I made my own). I found a 2.5 - 3 inch diameter piece of pipe, that I could wrap the brass rod, which is 3/16" in diameter, into a circle shape. Then, I cut the circle in two spots, to leave the appropriate gap, maybe an inch to an inch and a half or so? Hammer the ends of the brass rod till they are flat...you may need to heat them, then quench in water so they don't crack on you (brass gets brittle when work hardened too much.)

To make the needle...wrap a lenth of 1/8" brass rod around the 3/16" brass rod, and trim the excess so you have a nice loop around the 3/16" rod. Then, sharpen the end using files, belt sander etc. to make it pointy and you're done.

Legion: TBD
Good match....

This reminds me my own old Topic about Togas!: Smile
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... ght=#42906

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick.