Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An open invitation from the Batavians!
Got more pics of that exhibition Maarten?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Jasper,

I've got several pictures of the exhibition. I will put them on the RAT later today

greetings

Maarten
Maarten Dolmans

Marcus Claudius Asclepiades

COHORS XV VOL. C. R.
CLASSIS AUGUSTA GERMANICA

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.paxromana.nl">www.paxromana.nl
Most good! We might like some photos of the helmets for the database too, if you're willing to share them of course.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Maarten wrote..
Quote:the Kessel helmet was in an exhibition about the Celts a few months ago in Venlo, near where I live

THANK YOU Maarten! Big Grin I have been scouring the planet for a photograph of this helmet for quite some time now! Laudes to you sir! I see it has been placed alongside the 'horn' attachment also found at Kessel.

I look forward to seeing the rest of the pictures!
Careful now Adrian. Computers do not take well to getting drooled on. :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
:lol: :oops:
Looks good!! Would seem a good basis to start a Batavian helmet from, as the lower part would be obscured by the leather band. I have asked "my" graphic designer at work to turn the 1/4 paper Batavian shield design you sent me into a digital one covering the whole of the shield in one go, he will make a printable full size version of it so you can transfer the full design straight onto a shield. You do need a plotter to print it 1:1 scale, though. Will send you the version as soon as it is available next week.
Perhaps we can set up a "download" section containing digital shoe-, shield-, pugio- and what have you designs on the RAT site? Just a thought, don't know if that is possible Big Grin
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Robert wrote "Nice to see the count rising, but ..... where are the Germans???"

Last Roman to say that was strolling through the Teutoberger Forest in AD 9......... Big Grin
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Oeps! :oops: ~
Mind you, I just recieved a brochure (in Holland!) of a meet at the Kalkriesen "Vasus" site. So it's still a big thing on the Germanic side.
It would be nice, though, if some German re-enactment groups would join the Batavian initiative, as this would lend weight to Peroni's offer on the continent as well. This way, it would be easier to field a Batavian aux. detachment in oncoming gatherings, the RAT get-together being the first one. Big Grin
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Quote:Perhaps we can set up a "download" section containing digital shoe-, shield-, pugio- and what have you designs on the RAT site? Just a thought, don't know if that is possible
Sure it is. It can be done easily - cobbled together - or slightly more difficult, but prettier. Whatever you want. "U vraagt, wij draaien" And it's free too! (Although you may be forced to subscribe to Ancient Warfare magazine)
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Ha, beat you to it! Filled in the form DAYS ago. :lol: So I'll go for the "slightly more difficult, but prettier" version. Tongue I hope this will also yield some leatherworking patterns (Martin??).
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Quote:slightly more difficult, but prettier" version.
Well, that would be a gallery on RA.com with all the plans available for download. It would be easy to set up. Anyone wants their plans in there, just send them to me.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Should you need Batavians of the 4/5th century - we are around!
As seen on the left side of Robert's shield wall from Archeon earlier in the topic.

Our website is at http://www.geocities.com/thebatavi/
Semisalis Abruna of the Batavi iuniores Britanniciani
aka Nick Marshall
Hi Nick!
Good to see you still visit RAT. Big Grin
How are you guys? I sorely misss my 'right wing'! How's the emperor Albinianus doing?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hi Robert
I'm still lurking in the shadows 8) - it's what us batavians do when we are not in the line (on your right wing).

Albinianus still has his delusions of Imperial Might. He is trying to persuade his scruffy infantry to get new smart kit to become Imperial Guards!! :?

We are still looking into getting across for the Vechten do at the start of September.
Semisalis Abruna of the Batavi iuniores Britanniciani
aka Nick Marshall