Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virginia Tech
Dare we say, demonic?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Dare we say, demonic?

I never accepted that as a reason people do these evil things. Simply for the fact that removes the responsibility from the individual.

I am doing my best to avoid all media concerning this incident, because its being sensationlized now, and I believe this is the thing these murderous monters want. They want to instill fear in society, and be remembered in someway.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:I believe this is the thing these murderous monters want

Right, and if we see "copycats" some of the blaming must be pointed at the direction of the media, to be sure. Still, each person must be held to be responsible for reprehensible actions. "Demonic" is no more or less a scapegoat than the report that the murderer was "mentally ill." (Some of these guys have PhDs and such, and yet they make those statements as if none of us had realized that.)

A sane person does not go on a shooting rampage, plain and simple.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I don't believe in calling these things evil or demonic, the kid was mentally ill and not seeking help which could be an issue in his upbringing.
James Barker
Legio XIIII Martia Victrix
Not to speculate but watching more of his video footage, I 'm wondering if this is the result of bullying .... he seems to blame everyone else with reference to wealth and expensive cars - no excuse for what happened but I just think how far was this boy pushed that someone decides the only option left is to retaliate in such a way.

It is such a tragic incident..innocent lives that will effect everyone in that town...

what is the world coming to when young people dont see any options available for them
Rubicon

"let the die be cast "

(Stefano Rinaldo)
Bullying is a fact of life and a poor excuse for a massacre of people you don't even know. He is rampaging against material items also; I wonder what kind of rigid upbringing he had being a South Korean immigrant; many Asian cultures have high suicide rates including Japan and South Korea. The demands for success from his own home may have been extremely stressful.

In the end he was mentally ill and no matter what justifications he rambles on about the mental illness is what allowed him to carry out the violence.
James Barker
:wink: Heck I was bullied and picked on and I turned out normal Tongue

Sez you..Have you seen your own avatar? :twisted:

a.k.a. Paul M.
No one and certainly not myself is justifying his cowardly actions or allowing him to use bullying as an excuse...I simply cannot understand that young people with the world at their feet find themselves in a corner.

Mental illness? He seems quite switched on to have an illness....maybe that is the excuse. he seems quite together to plan and orchestrate the entire event, including the diatribe on the video.

Anyway I dont want this to be an arguement...its just such a tragic event
Rubicon

"let the die be cast "

(Stefano Rinaldo)
Mental illness or not he understood right from wrong.

a.k.a. Paul M.
Well said Paul
Rubicon

"let the die be cast "

(Stefano Rinaldo)
Rubicon

This fellow spent time in a mental health facility, there is not doubt he was mentally ill.

Quote:State police, meanwhile, revealed that in December 2005, Cho was declared "mentally ill and in need of hospitalization" and posed "an imminent danger," according to a temporary detention order issued by a Virginia district court.

In November and December 2005, two women complained to campus police that they had received calls and computer messages from Cho, but they considered the messages "annoying," not threatening, and neither pressed charges, Virginia Tech Police Chief Wendell Flinchum said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,266921,00.html
James Barker
Quote::wink: Heck I was bullied and picked on and I turned out normal Tongue
Uuuuhhhmmmm... there's this photo of you on the internet wearing Roman armour.....
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
The guy was insane, and totally delusional. The persecution was entirely in his own head. His "manifesto" was just what you'd expect, after the writings of the Unabomber, Sirhan Sirhan and other murderous nutcases: a rambling diatribe full of self-pity and self-justification. He was resentful, or more likely just envious, of the possessions of wealthier students. This from a fourth-year student living at one of America's most beautiful campuses at someone else's expense. To 90 percent of the world, he was privileged beyond belief. By such accounts as have come to light, he was not bullied because he seems to have attempted no human contact at all. No, this guy was locked inside his own brain, which was seriously defective.
Pecunia non olet
Quote:Bullying is a fact of life and a poor excuse for a massacre of people you don't even know.

James, I don't know you personally but something tells me you were never bullied. I had the pleasure of being on the receiving end for a couple of years, I can can tell you that your statement, to me, does not sound convincing.
Had i been psychologically been where this guy was, and had I been living in a society where gun use is normal and guns are easily available, i don't know.. At some point, you stop blaming the bullies (who are usually sad figures themselves and often bully out of fear of becoming targets themselves), and you get mad at the 'silent multitute' who see what's going on and don't want or don't care to become involved. Or teachers, who watch but don't act. No, I can see, remotely at least, a reason for a bullied person to start shooting at 'uninvolved' people.

But was this guy bullied? Or was he just a psychological basketcase? :?

Quote::wink: Heck I was bullied and picked on and I turned out normal Tongue

Well we both were and we both are wearing Roman armour.. :twisted:
For me, doing re-enactment certainly has its roots in my teenage experiences, the need to do something that no-one else is doing. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Question about why people love guns gone.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Catching up with Legion tech jkaler48 4 1,180 05-18-2010, 02:18 AM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Barbarian Battle Tech on THC Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs 1 1,084 07-05-2007, 04:36 AM
Last Post: DanM