Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For the Glory of Rome: A History of Warriors and Warfare
It just arrived in my mailbox. I'll be delving into it today.
Pecunia non olet
Quote:
BTW, I like your deviantART gallery.

Cheers,

R

Wow, thank you so much for looking! Big Grin I appreciate it.

Can't wait to get your book ... your Osprey titles look interesting too -- Angus McBride does amazing illustrations.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Quote: ... your Osprey titles look interesting too -- Angus McBride does amazing illustrations.

The best of the Osprey titles is Roman Battle Tactics. The Legionary books went to the press with a mass of typos and minor errors, so I find it difficult to recommend them, though many buy the books just for the illustrations of the late Angus McBride. Hopefully the Legionary books will be reissued in a corrected combined volume.

Cheers,

R
Quote:It just arrived in my mailbox. I'll be delving into it today.

Let me know what you think. Smile

R
Quote: The best of the Osprey titles is Roman Battle Tactics.

Thanks very much for the tip! I'll pick up Tactics first, and get the McBride books later.

Big Grin D
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Good stuff, Ross! It's really refreshing to see the Roman studied as an individual fighting man and not just as a cog in the great machine of the legion. It also gives us all ammunition for the next time someone says: "Yeah, the Romans fought well enough in big-scale formations, but they'd have been hopeless one-on-one against - (fill in the blank: a Viking, Samurai, Norman knight, whatever his favorite warrior figure might be.)
Pecunia non olet
I'm pleased you're enjoying it, John. Big Grin I was very keen to get away from the 'military machine' approach and to emphasise the role of individuals.

If you have any other comments, you could perhaps add them to Andrew's book club thread.

Cheers,

R
just ordered it on amazon. should be here by teh end of the month. hopefully i'll get to read it on my 2 weeks off work helping the wife with the new baby when he comes!
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Thanks, Chuck, and congratulations! Big Grin
Yes, I read this book also about a month ago. In general, a very good book! There is also a little extra added value to this book, let me explain. Now there is in ONE book all those crazy individual deeds which I have been hunting from my books every now and then (like "..was it Polybius in the Peter Connolly`s book..." etc.) I just realized this today and I am sure it will be of a great help to other RAT members too in this respect!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
The standard reference work for "crazy individual deeds" by Roman soldiers? That's the kind of recommendation I like! Big Grin

Cheers,

R
I went BN (that big book store chain) the other day and couldn't this book, when asked if they had it the people stared at me like I was stuipd. I guess I'll order it online. I'm still looking forward to reading this book.
Marcus Marius Agrippa
Will Dial
"Stop quoting laws, we carry weapons." - Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus
Quote: I guess I'll order it online. I'm still looking forward to reading this book.

So far, I've only seen two copies in local bookshops, so ordering online is the easiest way.

I hope you enjoy it. Smile

Cheers,

R
I give it a very good rating for readability and information. It's not dry and it moves quickly and is not for bedtime reading, unless you want to stay up later than you expected. Good information on disabled soldiers staying on active duty, and explores the less disciplined moments of the Roman soldier, single combats, taunting the enemy, all those moments which make the historical re-enactor (parade ground) centurions shudder, but were a real part of roman military history. :twisted:
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Many thanks, Charles. Big Grin The book's readability owes much to Jim Bowers, Duncan B. Campbell and Lawrence Keppie, who read early drafts and made valuable suggestions.

Cheers,

R

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Syvanne\'s \"Military History of Late Rome 284-361\" Nathan Ross 22 12,745 11-18-2015, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Virilis
  Routledge Warfare & History Series John W Davison 0 1,027 04-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Last Post: John W Davison
  Book on History Of Rome Narukami 5 2,415 12-28-2012, 03:49 AM
Last Post: ANTONIVS MAGNVS