Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A heretical question (leather Lorica is peanuts compared...)
My apologies, i thought that was about baldrics.

Quote:Eining dates to 259/60. Smile

Quote:So that gives even more credence to the 4th-C possibility. I was only quoting the article in JRMES.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:A 4th century soldier could be expected to readily recognize segmnta armor. Athough archaic, it might have been a Prestige Item of kit like for example an earlier period heirloom helmet or sword blade.
The problem with this is that segmentata definitely wasn't prestige armour. The limited evidence available suggests it was munitions armour. Anyone who had money would not wear it favouring mail, scale, or solid plate. Anyone in the dark ages who had a stout mail shirt would not bother with segmentata.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Yet again Dan, you are speaking in certainties, and with most things of this period not much is certain.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
I agree with Paul that it's impossible to speak with certainty about the segmentata being 'prestige armour' or not.

But I also agree 100% with Dan that during the Middle Ages nobody was seen in any such armour - that's for certain.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
If segmentata was so wonderful we wouldn't have a thousand year phase of history where mail was the dominant type of armour. There is no technological reason why segmentata could not continue to be made. We have one piece iron helmets that require far greater skill to fashion.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Quote:We have one piece iron helmets that require far greater skill to fashion.
By the 4th century, used in the legions?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leather Cuirass Lorica Musculata, I used to think no way but AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 209 62,544 06-19-2013, 04:46 AM
Last Post: Vitruvius
  Helmetsize compared to legionary headsize Uhrisa 5 1,600 03-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus
  The leather strap or belt "keeper" question jkaler48 11 3,044 11-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Last Post: jkaler48