Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria
Doesn't make sense to edit my posts, if you are still awake Smile

Quote:They say the bowl is made from one piece, yet it has a ridge. Why? The ridge is meant to connect two or more pieces in such a helmet, not sitting on top of a one-piece bowl..
Well. the ridge has two functions: stabilising the weakest point of the helmet, just like the cross-bars on earlier helmets, or like the Pickel on a Pickelhaube (later helmets :lol: ). AND holding the parts together. In the place of a wearer, it is probably not so interesting, whether the helmet's bowl is made of one or two pieces, so the first function seems to me to be the more important one...

Quote:Is seems pretty square to me, not like a rusted slab of mail...
I fully agree, I was just looking for an explanation..
Maybe the reporter understood it wrong, and the neckguard is attached with rings like the ones used for chainmail??

Any idea, what the little piece of metal above the left "eye" of the nose guard is, the one between helmet and nose guard? strange, too....
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
The nasal 'nose' is flat and not pointy. AFAIK only the Deir-El-Medineh has such nasal end.
Another interesting feature is that the bowl doesn't seem to have the cutouts for the eyes. Did the 'eyebrows' protude from the lower border?
To my mind, the neckguard looks solid and, about he one-piece bowl, up til now it has only turned out on the later Sixth century helmets (Vendel, Sutton Hoo) aping Late roman ones... :?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Maybe the lower part of the helmet bowl is missing? In that case the nasal quard seems to be just in the right place in the actual picture and the missing cut-outs for the eyebrows would have been in that missing part....

If I remember correctly, there are some late roman helmet bowls wich are made in two parts, not segmented, but first part going around the head at the eyebrow level and the upper parts riveted to that piece. It was a Intercisa style helmet.

For example Deurne helmet has cutouts for the eyebrows, but the other Leiden museum helmet with nasal quard don`t have them.

By the way, I have a picture somewhere (it was a German museum...) a late roman Intercisa style helmet (without nasal quard, or at least without a cut-out for them) which has Deir-El-Medineh style cheekpieces. And I thought my bicycle was hybrid :lol: ....

Interesting, interesting!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:By the way, I have a picture somewhere (it was a German museum...) a late roman Intercisa style helmet (without nasal quard, or at least without a cut-out for them) which has Deir-El-Medineh style cheekpieces. And I thought my bicycle was hybrid ....
Is it this one?
[Image: iatrus3.jpg]
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
wow what a great find
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Yes Faventianus, that`s the one!

It would be great to have some kind of compilation of all the late roman helmet finds published. In fact it would be great to have some kind of compilation of all the helmets of antiquity :lol: !

Wishfull thinking. I can picture in my eyes a "Monty Pythonesque god" telling us in a thunderous voice: "Hello mortals, this giant-size Tasche publication about late roman helmets will be published in year 2237 AD.."

Meanwhile we must satisfy ourselves with cataloques of various collections and so on. Anyway it is refereshing to have such finds like this latest one, that really keeps our interest alive! In fact our communitys opinions (shape, size and placement of nasal quards, for example) could be very amusing for a genuine late roman to follow. Anyway it is well worth it :lol: !

Regards,
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Forgive me, when I say that the helmet looks a bit of a monster!

Yes its that nasal, it looks like it has slipped and should be a good 3cm further up.

I'm really pleased that helmets still keep turning up to surprise and confuse us all!
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Ah, that's the Iatrus helmet, indeed one of my favorites when it comes to discussing the seemingly fact that just when you think you have the 'system' of Late Roman helmets figured out, one comes along and blows the whole system to kingdom come! :twisted:

For those who wish to study it a bit better, here's a smallish but nice virtual presentation from the museum.

The bowl consists of two pieces, held together with a ridge like the simpler Intercisa types. No holes for the ears though, seemingly no hinges either. The bottom of the bowl seems flattened.

Is there anyone who could help me with the following artciles?

Iatrus - Krivina. Spätantikes Kastell und frühmittelalterliche Siedlung an der unteren Donau
Bd. 1 - 5 Berlin 1979-1995

G.v.Bülow, Das spätantike Kastell Iatrus am Unterdonaulimes in Bulgarien. Stand und
Probleme der Erforschung. Ber. der Röm.-German. Kommission 75, 1994, 5-22

G.Gomolka-Fuchs, Ostgermanische Foederaten im spätantiken Heer. Hinweise in der
materiellen Kultur auf die ethnische Zusammensetzung der Bevölkerung vom
4.-6. Jahrhundert in Nordbulgarien. Paris 1993, 355-365
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Wow! Impressing 3D model!!! Are there more?
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:Are there more?
Nope, well, one of a vase and a look at the exhibition room. Nothing fancy like that helmet.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that it was gilded.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
I cannot see the presentation (and I remember that I saw it! But perhaps was on my former computer and now I'm lacking one of those wonder-programs...) Sad
Any other 'common' images of the Iatrus helmet'? I remember I had some in my former late computer... :?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:Any other 'common' images of the Iatrus helmet'? I remember I had some in my former late computer... :?
You poor man.. I sent you an email Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
E-mail received, thanks! Big Grin

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
BTW, has anyone opinion about my previous theory that this latest helmet find may actually have it`s huge nasal quard in the RIGHT PLACE? Maybe the bowl was made of two parts ON TOP OF EACH OTHER.

This would explain also the strange neck-quard; maybe it is the only surviving part of the lower part which is a broad band going under the one-piece bowl ?? In the picture the helmet is pushed very near to the camera and it perhaps looks bigger than it actually is??

Regards,
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
One more thought!

If I remember correctly, Aitor an Daniel Peterson were discussing about late roman helmets and possible hinges wich were keeping the cheek-quards in their place. If there were such hinges in this new helmet find, they would be missing because only the neck part of that broad band is there (in my opinion it is not a neck-piece at all:twisted: !!!).

Regards,
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christies Late Roman helmet: 1 or 2? Robert Vermaat 96 24,824 09-21-2018, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Late Roman Centurion Helmet Connor Augustus 3 1,864 12-22-2014, 10:00 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Whereabouts of Late Roman ex-Guttmann helmet? aitor iriarte 20 5,256 07-27-2013, 04:51 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius