Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about a pilum from the great St. Bernhard pass
Hello,
I am working about military equipment from the col of great St. Bernhard. Among that equipment I have been found an enormous socketed pilum which is about 87 cm long (see attachment).
Has anyone seen a direct parallel? Is it perhaps republican equipment?
Thanks for help in advance,
Greetings, Eckhard
Eckhard Deschler-Erb
University of Zurich
How about an angon? That's seen as a Late Roman variant of the pilum, even though this looks massive!

But I know that a Late Roman plumbata (leaded dart) was also found on the St. Bernard (maybe you have a good picture of that?), so I guess it could be from the same period.

Or not, of course. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I have seen a drawing somewhere that looks similar to this, but it was perhaps of this same object.? I seem to recall it on here somewhere. :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Lots of Celtic graves from Northern Italy have socketed pilum in them. Might have been dropped by one of them ?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Thank you very much for that informations.
Yes, that pilum has first been published in 1892 and yes, there exists although a plumbata. Thank you for the suggestions of celtic graves.
We have a lot of militaria from the Great St. Bernhard and it is planed to publish them all in spring (congres in Aosta).
I am just finishing the manuskript and will let you know when the ongres-acta are coming out.
Greetings, Eckhard
Eckhard Deschler-Erb
University of Zurich
Thank you very much Eckard.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Hello,
My paper about military equipment from the Great St. Bernhard is going on and now i study about some sort of signa, which has been found four times on the GSB. I can't find any exact parallels and so I would be happy if anyone else could help me with an suggestion (or is is it perhaps a candelabra?)
Greetings, Eckhard
Eckhard Deschler-Erb
University of Zurich
Maybe the drawing is upside-down (?) It could be a butt spike for a standard. There are depictions on grave stele of signifers that show something very similar at the bottom of the standard pole.

Like this one from Carrawburgh (Third Century)
http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/ ... Itemid,94/

Alternatively can it be certain that the object is military and not a tool of some sort?
Hello everybody,
The Congress-Acta about the Great St. Bernhard have now been published.
You can download them under the following link

http://www.minellono.it/archivio/alpis_poenina_pdf.zip

It is not only about military equipment and it is in french, but perhaps is someone anyway interested .
Greetings, Eckhard :wink:
Eckhard Deschler-Erb
University of Zurich
Laudes for offering the whole congress acta on the internet for free download. It is always nice to have an expert for roman millitary equipment here on RAT.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
Great! Thank you very much, Eckhard! Big Grin

Greetings
Alexandr
Thanks Eckhard, laudes!
Manuel Peters
Looks like a peavy or a cant hook

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/fsp ... fig112.gif
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
A boat hook?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks Eckhard!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pilum question for \'Come In Nighthawk\' Anonymous 13 2,379 09-21-2002, 11:06 PM
Last Post: Caius Fabius