Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd century centurion
Adrian I hope that it has not come over too strong on the subject of the helmet, it was that I tend to consider the end of the Hadrianic period as around the mid 2nd century (138) I have not said that you suggest it as unsuitable.
Brian Stobbs
Ioannis. This is where I tend to think of all of us here on RAT as one big happy family, we differ many times on opinion even at times to the point of anger. However at the end of the day everything clears up and we are all happy again....or at least I hope so. In my old school time phrase NIL BASTUM CARBORUNDUM, translated don't let the B..... get you down
Brian Stobbs
For the first picture posted by Faventianus, i have to say that the UTERE FELIX belts are probably a little later than 150. The most famous belt (the one founded at Lyon) is dated in 198.

Probably, if a exact date of 150 is needed, was better to use a ring belt or a belt with openwork plates.

Bibliography:
-Bullinger, H. 1972: 'Utere Felix: a propos de la garniture de ceinturon de Lyon', Gallia 30, 276-83
-Stefanie Hoss: "VTERE FELIX und MNHMNWN – Zu den Gürteln mit Buchstabenbeschlägen ", Archäologisches Korrespondenzblatt 36, 2006
-Petculescu, L. 1991: "Utere Felix and Optimo Maxime Con(serva), mounts from Dacia", Limes 15 Exeter, 392-7.
Quote:Gosh, I expected a little bit more of feedback.

Many thanks to Faventianus and Peroni for their input. It's really surprising that they were the only two who could bother answering my questions.

I'm off this site for good...

To all my friends here, take care guys!

I am doing this impression too.

I just found this thread, but I got very little input to the same questions myself Ioannis, so don't feel too bad.

I plan on the Gutmann for mine, plus that dagger Ade pointed out.
Erik turned me onto it a year or two ago.

Also going for the hamata, but may not quite jibe with the common ideas about that point! :wink:

A nice gladius by Patrik Barta to round it off!! Big Grin

P.S Will grow the beard for it too! Tongue
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hi Ioannis,

Quote:Sorry guys I overreacted but yesterday

glad to hear you weren't serious :-) )

If you need articles on 2nd cent. shoes or ring pommel swords let me know.
Quote:If you need articles on 2nd cent. shoes ......

Yes please Martin! :wink:
Thank you all for your input!

Big Grin
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Secondary sidearm for 4th century centurion M. Val. Naso 19 4,511 09-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  1st century BC Centurion question maius 37 8,828 07-31-2007, 08:34 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar