Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hollywood Romans -- New Feature Film on Pompeii
This project, or variations there of, has been "lost" in Development Hell for years, but now it seems it may actually make it into production and to a cinema near you ... maybe ...

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/kit-harrington-...49443.html

Kit Harrington goes to ash in 'Pompeii'

Game of Thrones's Kit Harrington is set to face the eruption of Mount Vesuvio that covered its surroundings in ash in the forthcoming historical blockbuster Pompeii, reveals Variety. Britain's Paul W.S. Anderson is to direct the movie about the event that ravaged the Roman Empire location circa 79 AD.
First announced in spring 2011, Pompeii could move forward with the recent addition of 25-year old Kit Harrington in the lead role. The British actor is currently in talks to play a slave named Milo. While in nearby Naples, Milo, who is in a relationship with his former owner's daughter, returns to Pompei when the volcano erupts to save his sweetheart as well as a gladiator friend.
The movie is based on a script by Julian Fellowe (Gosford Park and popular TV series Downton Abbey). The shooting schedule for this Constantin Film production has yet to be announced.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
http://www.cheapnfljerseysmarts.com/japa...3_775.html - Japan run at an perfect year. They'll be confronted by Oregon State in the opener vs NCAA odds but that competition is in Arlington which is just about as close to a household game as it is probable to get. It will most most likely come on the road if the Horned Frogs are to shed at all and the only difficult road game comes late in the year at Utah. That competition may end up determining the Mountain West champ and a BCS bowl bid.
TCU is coached by Gary Patterson, who has been with the squad for nine seasons. He has gathered 85 victories which sets him in 2nd location on the TCU profession victory chart. He also has six ten-win seasons, and is the only coach in school history to have that. The Frogs have earned a spot in the Final Leading 25 seven instances and the only year that his squad failed to reach a bowl competition was 2004. Ahead of accepting the positi http://www.cheapnfljerseysmarts.com/ - Wholesael NFL Jerseys on with TCU in December 2000, http://www.cheapnfljerseysmarts.com/ - Cheap Jerseys he was an assistant head coach at a number of distinctive schools. He was awarded the 2005 Mountain West Conferen http://www.cheapnfljerseysmarts.com/ - Cheap NFL Jerseys ce Coach of the Year. He even refused a

http://discussion-board.info/blog.php - the chase for the crown much more fascinating. Texas A&M has currently created it clear that they will be out of the Large 12 in 2012, but are staying place for now.
Hrm, when I first heard the story I thought it might be taken from the Robert Harris book of the same name. Bit of a shame that it isn't, as although it isn't nearly as good as his Cicero books it had a great Hollywood-style plot (SPOILER: there is a huge explosion at the end) and some good discussion of Roman aqueducts and water supply.

There's still definitely potential here though, as Pompeii is probably the best understood city in the Roman empire outside of Rome itself. It should also avoid the problem of Hollywood legionaries, as they shouldn't really feature in the plot at all. Kit Harrington is a pretty decent actor who definitely has the right look, so fingers crossed the script is up to scratch.
But wait -- There's more ...

Some of you may know Paul Anderson as the director responsible for the video game inspired Resident Evil film series. No word is his favorite actor (Mila Jovovich) will be part ofd this new project, but anything is possible.

Also interesting to note that Harington was to star in a Warner Brothers Studio film, Arthur & Lancelot, but that project is now on hold (Development Hell is always crowded with projects on 'hold.')

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vi...eii-390128

Kit Harington will play the lead in Paul W.S. Anderson's movie about the devastating eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 A.D.

Kit Harington, one of the stars of HBO's Game of Thrones, is in negotiations to topline Pompeii, the big-screen treatment of the volcanic destruction of the ancient Roman city being directed by Resident Evil maestro Paul W.S. Anderson.

Constantin Film is financing and producing the big-budget title, which Summit/Lionsgate will distribute in the U.S.
The 79 A.D. eruption of Mount Vesuvius and its showering of molten and ashen death on the town is one of history’s great disaster stories and has seen several screen incarnations.

Constantin and Anderson are making a period adventure movie and taking a Titanic approach, anchoring it with a love story.

Harington will play a slave stuck on a ship who must race against time to save his true love, his master’s daughter, as well as his best friend, a gladiator trapped in the coliseum when the destruction begins.

Anderson, who most recently directed the $221 million worldwide-grossing Resident Evil: Retribution, is also producing with partner Jeremy Bolt and Constantin’s Robert Kulzer.

Harington plays Jon Snow on Thrones, HBO’s acclaimed fantasy. The actor has just started taking steps into the feature world and will appear in Legendary’s fantasy The Seventh Son and is doing voice work in DreamWorks Animation's How to Train Your Dragon 2.

Harington was set to star in Warner Bros. medieval action pic Arthur & Lancelot, but that project was shelved.
He is repped by CAA, Parseghian Planco and Jackoway Tyerman.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quite right Robert -- we can hope for the best. As has often been said in this Forum, even a poor film about ancient Rome is better than no films about Rome. Now some films push that to the limit (The Last Legion) but we might get lucky.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Slightly dubious about plot details now that more has been released. A slave falling in love with a citizen woman? Gladiatorial games on the day of the eruption? I hope these are intelligently handled. :/
I only hope Anderson will try harder with this then he did with the last Resident Evil Movie. If this is a try to cash in on the success of the Spartacus TV show I doubt we will finally see accurate Romans and Gladiators appear on the big screen...
Well one can hope the costume department at least takes a glance at all the finds they could use as reference.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany
I know it may seem strange since I'm really into the subject of the munera myself, but could we please have a Roman movie with no gladiators in it for once? They really didn't play that huge a part in Roman life, and movies since Ridley Scott's have given the impression that gladiators were right up there with the Senate and the army in importance.
Pecunia non olet
Quote:I know it may seem strange since I'm really into the subject of the munera myself, but could we please have a Roman movie with no gladiators in it for once? They really didn't play that huge a part in Roman life, and movies since Ridley Scott's have given the impression that gladiators were right up there with the Senate and the army in importance.
It's not that ridiculous really - gladiatorial games were culturally important events, and the average citizen would see them more than the senatorial class (and welcome them more than the military). The gladiators in Life of Brian are quite a good example, they're just background at a social gathering.

At least both the gladiator and the lead in this film are slaves, so it's not pushing credibility that they could be friends.
MillaJovovich...... Confusedilly: 8-)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I know it may seem strange since I'm really into the subject of the munera myself, but could we please have a Roman movie with no gladiators in it for once? They really didn't play that huge a part in Roman life, and movies since Ridley Scott's have given the impression that gladiators were right up there with the Senate and the army in importance.

Actually ...

The film must have gladiators in it or it will violate the 1st Law of Hollywood Romans as laid out by Adrian Goldsworthy (in his lecture at the KC Public Library) to wit: No matter what the film is about, if it is set in Ancient Rome then There Will Be Gladiators, even if it is just a couple hanging about for no reason at all.

Think of all the recent feature films set in Ancient Rome - Now, how many of them did not have either gladiators, or sons of gladiators, or former gladiators in it?

:unsure:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:Think of all the recent feature films set in Ancient Rome - Now, how many of them did not have either gladiators, or sons of gladiators, or former gladiators in it?
I don't think either King Arthur or Centurion did. Both are set in Roman Britain which isn't strictly 'Ancient Rome' but then neither is Pompeii...
Quote:Harington will play a slave stuck on a ship who must race against time to save his true love, his master’s daughter, as well as his best friend, a gladiator trapped in the coliseum when the destruction begins.

What's he doing stuck on a ship? And 'racing against time' might be quite tricky with the Romans' hazy ideas of timekeeping...

Confusedilly:

In fact, the 'destruction' seems to have begun several days or even weeks previously, and the majority of the inhabitants of Pompeii had probably evacuated the place long before the volcano went off. What we see preserved there is not a Roman town trapped in time, but a scene of partial dereliction. Many of the bodies that left traces in the ground were likely those of looters drawn from the surrounding countryside into the abandoned town, rather than citizens (now that might make a good idea for a movie!...)
Nathan Ross
Quite right about King Arthur, but with regards to Centurion, the main character comments that his father was a gladiator.

From the films PR packet:

CENTURION is set during the war between Roman soldiers and Pict tribesmen during the 2nd century Roman conquest of Britain. Michael Fassbender stars as Quintus Dias, Roman centurion and son of a legendary gladiator who leads a group of soldiers on a raid of a Pict camp to rescue a captured general (Dominic West).

I wonder how many others there might be besides the Arthur film. Off the top of my head I can not recall any, though there must be a few.

Some of the films from the 60's & 70's are 'sans gladiators.' For example The Viking Queen, about the Boudicca rebellion ... sort of. Likewise Ben Hur, for although it does have scenes at the Circus, I do not recall seeing any gladiators. Perhaps a fellow member has a better memory for this.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Hi David
Think of all the recent feature films set in Ancient Rome - Now, how many of them did not have either gladiators, or sons of gladiators, or former gladiators in it?

From a vague memory none of these have Gladiators in:

'Caesar and Cleopatra'
'The Robe'. Demetrius is to be sold as a Gladiator but he is bought by Marcellus as a body servant. He becomes a Gladiator in the sequel. Apparently there is a 'Gladiator' in the cast but I am not sure where he appears!
'Ben-Hur'.
'King of Kings'.
'Julius Caesar' 50's version
'Julius Caesar' 60's version
'Cleopatra' 60's version
'The Greatest Story Ever Told'.
'The Viking Queen'. No Gladiators, no Vikings either!!
'King Arthur"
'The Last Legion'.

I was going to add the 3 various 'Quo Vadis' versions but Marcus Vinicius does hire Croton, a Gladiator when he tracks down Lygia to the catacombs.

Sadly David unlike us, I guess for most RAT members nowadays most of these films do not count as recent! :-(

Narukami wrote:
Harington will play a slave stuck on a ship who must race against time to save his true love, his master’s daughter, as well as his best friend, a gladiator trapped in the coliseum when the destruction begins.

What's he doing stuck on a ship? And 'racing against time' might be quite tricky with the Romans' hazy ideas of timekeeping...

Equally getting from Pompeii to Rome and back will be a bit tricky too!!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hollywood Romans -- Spartacus & Dalton Trumbo Narukami 6 2,522 08-18-2015, 02:07 PM
Last Post: ParthianBow
  Hollywood Romans -- New Feature Film about... AMELIANVS 46 8,561 08-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  New Feature Film on Cleopatra Narukami 11 2,770 01-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Kegluneq