Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oberstimm beltplates
[Image: doktorzaius_15992713.jpg]

Here ya go! Sorry its not 100% clear.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Thanks Paulus!

Again an example of a completely flat plate, without special edges...

Does anyone know how thick the metal of these plates is?
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Marcus I tried my best to look and see and the best guess I could get was around 22 gauge.

a.k.a. Paul M.
Mmm, 20 gauge, that's about 0,8mm isn't it? This seems very thick to me...

Thanks!
Kind regards,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I edited that to 22 gauge sorry I made a typo

a.k.a. Paul M.
And how much mm is 22 gauge? Around 0.75mm? Still quite thick isn't it?
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Okay, first the plates I was looking at it seems are from Risstissin and are in the Würtembergisches Landesmuseum in Stuttgart- just to clarify :wink: Big Grin

And second if the plate Paulus posted is really 22-gauge (0.025"/ 0.63mm), it may be a casting- that's awfully thick to be stamping with a die. I wasn't even able to get a good plate using 26-gauge brass- 30 was the only thickness that worked well (fortunately the relief figures and the fact that brass work-hardens makes up for the thin metal actually). Of course I know Paulus you are just estimating from looking at the artifact, which is difficult so I'm not picking on your estimate :wink:

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Hi Matt,

If it's not to much trouble, could you please give a list of the Gauge-mm transponation? It would help alot, I can't find a good list of this...

Kind regards,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
By the way Paulus, I wasn't picking on your estimate either! Just seemed very thick for a stamped plate. I'm very grateful your taking the time to help.

Kind regards,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I didnt think you guys were picking on me. But being behind glass and 18 inches away makes it pretty hard to guess Big Grin //clang.adkinssoftware.com/roman%20pics/balteus%2001.html">http://clang.adkinssoftware.com/roman%2 ... %2001.html

a.k.a. Paul M.
Hi Paulus,

Are your beltplates adorned with a concentric ring pattern? I believe it is indeed very possible to make those out of fairly thick brass sheet. However, a complicated design, with a lot of little details, like the wolf and twins plate, would be a lot harder(or almost impossible) to make with that thickness of metal.

Regards,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:I didnt think you guys were picking on me. But being behind glass and 18 inches away makes it pretty hard to guess Big Grin My belt plates are from my friend at Clang Armoury, and they are stamped from 24 gauge with no difficulties.

Exactly- estimation of something that's on the order of millimeters in thickness is REALLY hard... and I've found it pays to be extra sure that someone doesn't take what you write the wrong way- it's easy to misunderstand when all we have is text :wink:

Anyway, as for the thicker metal for plates, sure 24-gauge can be used for designs like rings, cones, etc., I use it too for these 'simple' figure plates. But when you're talking about hand-hammering and repousse using just a negative die, getting the very fine details isn't easy to do well with anything but fairly thin metal unless you have a solid perfect positive and negative die and a mechanical press.

Last week I mistakenly tried using 26-gauge brass to test one of my new dies and couldn't understand why it wasn't turnin-out well at all... until I realized my mistake, and the test with the thinner metal (0.010") worked beautifully.

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Oh, and here's the list you asked for Jef:

Gauge Thickness (in/mm)
32 0.008 0.200
30 0.010 0.255
26 0.016 0.396
24 0.020 0.511
22 0.025 0.644
20 0.032 0.812
18 0.040 1.024
16 0.051 1.291
14 0.064 1.628

You can see more here: [url:2nk4vw41]http://www.kitco.com/jewelry/gauge-inch-mm.html[/url]
Ummm...

As on a previous thread, I plan to have some dies cut (or cast them myself), a male and female die. Have any of you used a hydraulic or screw press?

Also... Crispvs, you posted a page from ARMA on Oct. 20. What is the story on the upper right corner plate, the wing-thunderbolt design?

(BTW... Paulus, Crispvs, you both get a set of whatever I get cut. Thanks for your input!)

Gaius Decius Aquilius
(Ralph Izard)
Thanks alot Gaius I appreciate that! Mark Berry of Clang uses a hydraulic press to make his belt plates, and to punch apron discs. You might want to email him about this. The link for his site is posted above!

a.k.a. Paul M.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wolf & Twins/Oberstimm Balteus plates dating Gaius Colletti 22 4,298 06-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  my cingulum of Oberstimm Lucius Petilius Remo 9 2,714 09-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Last Post: Matt Lukes
  Crossed belts with wide beltplates Marcus Mummius 22 5,712 01-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Last Post: Tarbicus