Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Real Life Military Experience
U.S. Army 1967-1970. Did Vietnam in '70.
Pecunia non olet
I was wondering how many of us around here have had some sort of real life experience in the military. I know that some (mosty from the US) are professional soldiers.

As some of you may know, in Greece national service is still compulsory. I served in the Hellenic Air Force from March 2003 to May 2004. I was trained as a Radar Operator and I achieved the rank of Sergeant.

[Image: e_smias.jpg]
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

A good number of members have served or are still serving as it seems.
Probably some members belonging to volunteer forces have "fresh" 1st line experience in nasty places.

As for me Hellenic army 1991-1992 in Greek-Turkish border where ...
"peace is just another type of war".

Kind regards
I was a medic corporal during 1985-1986 on the East German frontier during the Cold War.

Wow, even writing this bit seems more exiting than that year...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I was "lucky" first was drafted then got delay because of studying Japanese, then the draft was disbanded, so i didnt have to go.

then applied for a job as fighter pilot with the Dutch AF, but didnt get thru the tests.......

they said: in a war situation you would be of value, you could learn how to fly and operate an F-16 jet, your abilities are good enough for that... however at the moment we dont need people who are this "vigourous" ie who press the release button cuz they are pissed off by something....... hehehehe.... well I was 21 back then........

:oops:

must have been a heavy experience in 'Nam..........

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote: who press the release button cuz they are pissed off by something....... hehehehe.... well I was 21 back then.

Ha! HJ the trigger -happy destroyer of worlds! You should be a Gallic warrior... :twisted:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
there is a reason why i am starting samurai re-enactment hehehehehe

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
I don't know why my post was posted above the topic starter. It should have been below it.
Pecunia non olet
Yeah thats been happening a fair bit, it could be something wrong with the server apparently :?
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus
[Image: comitatus.jpg]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">www.comitatus.net
hmmm, On Thursday I was told to stop dwelling on my 12 years of military service, and to "just throw away" the bullet my body armor stopped. Also asked to not wear my Disabled Veteran's hat into the University meeting! Obviously, even close to Veteran's Day here in the USA, there are many of my countrymen who don't want to think about serving in the military. Most of them seem to be teachers of higher education, passing their lack of patriotism and service to the best and brightest of the next generations. Sad

You know, almost every man I met in FSU countires was a veteran, (except for those under 30)...

If you are a veteran in ths USA you are being encouraged to wear your ribbons or medals on Saturday 11 November to make the public aware of the number of veterans in the population. One of my Ukrainian friends has polished off all of his Soviet medlas to wear, he says "why not, I'm a veteran, too". Smile
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote:Also asked to not wear my Disabled Veteran's hat into the University meeting!
I hope you told them where to stick it?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:
Caius Fabius:1lzchjfu Wrote:Also asked to not wear my Disabled Veteran's hat into the University meeting!
I hope you told them where to stick it?

I agree with Robert.

Veterans should be respected no matter what army, no matter what side.

At least these men had the guts to face a situation while the "philosophers" just hide conveniently behind them
:!:
Quote:hmmm, On Thursday I was told to stop dwelling on my 12 years of military service, and to "just throw away" the bullet my body armor stopped. Also asked to not wear my Disabled Veteran's hat into the University meeting! Obviously, even close to Veteran's Day here in the USA, there are many of my countrymen who don't want to think about serving in the military. Most of them seem to be teachers of higher education, passing their lack of patriotism and service to the best and brightest of the next generations. Sad

You know, almost every man I met in FSU countires was a veteran, (except for those under 30)...

If you are a veteran in ths USA you are being encouraged to wear your ribbons or medals on Saturday 11 November to make the public aware of the number of veterans in the population. One of my Ukrainian friends has polished off all of his Soviet medlas to wear, he says "why not, I'm a veteran, too". Smile

Screw them, if their's one thing I hate, it's people who disrespect our service men and women. :x

Both my grandpa and my dad were in the army and I'm joining the Marines after college. You all should be be proud that you were brave enough to serve!
Eric

Brush-Popper extraordinaire
I have to admit, I am evil, I took off my hat with the little DAV symbol, and went out to my car, got out a hat with a blatant military theme, which I have my old unit crest pinned on, it. I took off my nice coat and tie and then I put on a Military themed sweatshirt. I traded briefcases and got the one with the MIA/POW and DAV and VFW stickers on it and then I went to the meeting they were paying me to speak at. But then, I am not the best diplomat when dealing with certain groups of people.
:twisted:
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Right on, Caius! Strength and honor.
Pecunia non olet

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are your 3 fave real life or fictional civilizations? KL70 32 5,148 12-20-2006, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Virilis
  Real Life Simpsons Intro! Susanne 14 2,498 03-29-2006, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Caius Valens
  Real life Roman odours cause sickness in museum Luca 10 2,673 01-18-2003, 01:54 AM
Last Post: rekirts