Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
X-Rays Reveal Archimedes Secrets
What I meant was that Hyperides works were part of the Archimedes Palimpsest.
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

I know. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:And don't forget that in Oxford they are still working on 500.000 papyrus fragments collected somewhere between 1880 and 1930, of which 5% is researched (the bigger ones) and 1% published!
With the new technique described in the article, next thing they'll research is a load of payrus masks, which the researchers are sure one were made from layers upon layers of whole texts... Who knows what lost books will turn up?

Heard the same while I was studying in Vienna. They have one of the biggest collections of papyrii in the world and the vasr majority hasn't even been looked at yet. And if they start to work on those fragments the ones which seem most important for the scientists working on them are examined and published first. So I guess literary texts have priority in getting examined and published and other documents which don't seem so important are collected for later examination (at least that's how I understood it).

So that would mean that we'd see a new fragment of a Philosopher much earlier than let's say an order for equipement for the army or something like that which might be of high importance for people interested in details on the army or bureaucracy or whatever but not for linguists or "general" historians.
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Syracuse, Archimedes and its walls. MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS 11 3,600 04-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering
  Greek Laser of Death - Archimedes RUBICON 27 12,106 05-29-2007, 09:53 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Books on Archimedes of Syracuse? Anabasis 1 1,438 09-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering