Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth?
Quote:In chapter XLIX he calls "leptismos" (thinning) the deployment of a phalanx less than 16. Here he just says "a smaller number", but it calls for a lot of discussion until we surmise he also means 4.

Most interesting George. I'd dearly love to read what you can post of the manual when (on the above mentioned passages) you can.

As I've argued, I believe Alexander thinned his line to eight so as his national levy occupied the field.

If the phalanx closed up by reducing depth, why do the files need to come from the rear? Given Arrian's description of the mixed phalanx (file leader, dimoirites, ten stater man...) it would make more sense to me that the supposed half file leader is in the second rank. If the phalax closed up by reducing depth then every second man steps right and forward. Synaspismos would be acheived by a contraction of the remaining frontage.

If, as is argued, the Macedonian phalanx's regular fighting depth was eight (in "half files"), there is no way that I - were I the dimoiretes - would be accepting any less pay than my contemporaries in the front fighting rank. Why is the bloke alonside of me - a "marching leader" - accorded a higher staus and, I assume, pay? Why make the distinction in pay when the duty and danger is exactly the same?
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - by Paralus - 07-03-2009, 02:50 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Makedonian phalanx shield Lessa 22 6,429 09-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Lessa
  phalanx depth PMBardunias 12 3,700 04-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Paralus
  Makedonian Armour Kallimachos 92 27,150 12-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Kallimachos