Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Makedonian leather body armour
You took the word out of my mouth Ruben! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I found the original publication of the find. I'll try to get it through interlibrary loan, but the journal- AEMTH 15 (2001) (To Archaiologiko ergo ste Makedonia kai Thrake OCLC# 28613406) is not commonly subscibed to by american universities.

If anyone is at a university, other than the University of Florida, please see if your school subscribes. I'll share what I find.

Paul
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Yes i would like to add to this one too even academics are guilty of the presumption of leather armour many studies i have read talk about leather / felt and many other materials for armour until you start digging through their references and you quickley discover that they presume it is leather or felt. I think they have been preprogramed by hollywood as well
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." Maya Angelou
Quote:I found the original publication of the find. I'll try to get it through interlibrary loan, but the journal- AEMTH 15 (2001) (To Archaiologiko ergo ste Makedonia kai Thrake OCLC# 28613406) is not commonly subscibed to by american universities.

If anyone is at a university, other than the University of Florida, please see if your school subscribes. I'll share what I find.

Paul

Paul, I can find the paper and scan it.
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

Quote:Paul, I can find the paper and scan it.

That's great, thanks. At the risk of pushing my luck, do you or anyone else have access to this paper? I can't access it.

"The Early Hoplite Phalanx. Order or Disarray?"
A Schwartz - Classica et mediaevalia, 2002
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
I think I can find this one as well.
Ioannis Georganas, PhD

Paul B wrote:-
Quote:I found the original publication of the find. I'll try to get it through interlibrary loan, but the journal- AEMTH 15 (2001) (To Archaiologiko ergo ste Makedonia kai Thrake OCLC# 28613406) is not commonly subscibed to by american universities.
To Ioannis:

There are actually annual reports, from 1999 or 2000 to 2005 at least, and possibly later.....it is probably the later ones that will be of more interest
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Jason Hoffman wrote:-
Quote:Yes i would like to add to this one too even academics are guilty of the presumption of leather armour many studies i have read talk about leather / felt and many other materials for armour until you start digging through their references and you quickley discover that they presume it is leather or felt. I think they have been preprogramed by hollywood as well

......and others are pre-programmed to presume 'glued linen layers', even when there is no evidence for it whatsoever, other than Peter Connolly's imaginative hypothesis! :wink: :wink: Smile lol: :lol:

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Oh,not again!At least not here :lol:
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Giannis wrote:-
Quote:Oh,not again!At least not here

...I've no intention of re-opening that debate...at least until these Makedonian graves give up their evidence.....I was merely pointing out that Jason's point, which is perfectly valid, cuts both ways...you ( I think)also gave a good illustration of this in that some of the fittings from the 'Philip' tomb are labelled in the museum 'fittings from a linothorax' Confusedhock: ....which is a very bad assumption indeed ! :wink: Smile lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul McDonnell-Staff
Indeed I did imply so.
Except they did find something we don't know yet :wink:
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Schwartz, A. 2002. "The Early Hoplite Phalanx. Order or Disarray?" Classica et mediaevalia: http://www.geocities.com/i_georganas/schwartz.pdf
Ioannis Georganas, PhD

...Alas, Ioannis, that link leads to a Yahoo message that says "page unavailable"........ Sad

Paul McDonnell-Staff
Anyone interested in the article, drop me a line and I'll email it to you.
Ioannis Georganas, PhD

To Ioannis:-

Any luck yet getting information on ANY of the Makedonian warrior grave excavation reports?

Is there a problem somewhere?...it would be particularly nice getting a report of the first quarter 5th century B.C. graves ( contemporaneous with Persian Wars) Smile

Is anyone else able to access these? :? ?

Paul McDonnell-Staff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Makedonian phalanx shield Lessa 22 6,259 09-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Lessa
  The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? Dan D'Silva 242 54,594 07-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Last Post: Macedon
  Makedonian Armour Kallimachos 92 26,706 12-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Kallimachos