Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth?
Quote:
Quote:Absolutely. "Local" kings had their "hypaspists" prior to Philip II as is attested in the literary sources. The notion that these are definitely "hoplite" aspis carriers is a nonsense. It would appear that, under Philip II and Alexander III, these troops (pezhetairoi under Philip) as the guard corps of dominant Macedonian kings, became the hypaspists of the time.

Hypaspist would appear - as you say - to be a traditional nomencalture.

Perhaps Paralus would care to specify where in literature guard units of "local Kings" (local to where?) are referred in literature as Hypaspists? I can think of only one off-hand - The 'King' of Paeonia had a 'Hypaspist' guard, contemporary with and clearly an imitation of Macedonian Hypaspists.

My, my… we are sounding dogmatic this morning. I hope it is not as a result of the shocking weather up your way (that you are in communication indicates your survival – without damage one is to hope). Perhaps you had testosterone rather than sugar in your coffee this morning!!??

Some of us have to work and I do promise a response – considered – in time. As you well know I am a little busy writing up something else for you which I am yet to get started.

I would note my use of the two descriptives: “definitely” and “would appear”. If you are alleging that Philip’s pezhetairoi are “definitely” aspis carriers, then I disagree. It is not definite.

I also do not see that the Paeonian “hypaspists” are “clearly an imitation” of Philip’s foot guard. But, that is for later. Meantime it might be worth pondering why Philip’s hypaspists were originally termed pezheatairoi and not hypaspists.

Quote: Nor did 'Hypaspists' fight in "different" ways......what evidence suggests this, beyond the fact that, as an elite Guard unit, they were frequently chosen for special missions?

I would suggest that indicates a certain “flexibility” and the ability to adopt different martial techniques.

Quote: I think you would agree that the sculptural and painting evidence shows that before and during Philip and Alexander's reign, the 'Aspis' was definitely carried and used by some Macedonian troops ( e.g. the 'Alexander sarcophagus' , the Veria relief, the Aghios Athenasios frieze, various tomb paintings etc). Since there is ample evidence that the Phalanx was armed with the sarissa and a rimless 'pelta' c. 73 cm in diameter, which troops carried the larger ( c.95 cm) rimmed 'Aspis'?

We have been over this, over several reds, and you know my views. I don’t say they are absolutely correct but too much can be made of such evidence at times.

Quote: There can, in reality, be only one probable candidate - the obvious one - the 'Aspis-Carriers'/Hypaspists. ( and please let us have no nonsense and red herrings about 'asthetaroi', since whoever they were, they were members of the sarissa and pelta armed Phalanx).

There’s the testosterones again!!

There is the possibility that the king’s Royal foot Guards - somatophylakes as Ptolemy evidently referred to them as on occasion – may be the aspis-armed troops about the king.
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - by Paralus - 05-25-2009, 02:02 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Makedonian phalanx shield Lessa 22 6,299 09-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Lessa
  phalanx depth PMBardunias 12 3,584 04-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Paralus
  Makedonian Armour Kallimachos 92 26,793 12-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Kallimachos