Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth?
It is not I who am "disappearing up my own fundamental " here. :roll:

Arrian (III.14)
"Meantime the Persians launched their scythe-bearing chariots against Alexander himself, for the purpose of throwing his phalanx into confusion; but in this they were grievously deceived. For as soon as they approached, the Agrianians and the javelin-men with Balacrus, who had been posted in front of the Companions ( it is not clear here whether "Hetaroi" refers to the Mounted "Companions" or the "Pez-hetaroi/Foot-Companions" but the context would appear to be the latter;( they are launched against the Phalanx); the Agrianes and Balacrus' Thracian javelin-men are clearly light Infantry, referred to elsewhere as well), hurled their javelins at some of the horses; others they seized by the reins and pulled the drivers off, and standing round the horses killed them. Yet some got right through the ranks; for the men stood apart and opened their ranks, as they had been instructed, in the places where the chariots assaulted them. In this way it generally happened that the chariots passed through safely, and the men by whom they were driven were uninjured. But these also were afterwards overpowered by the grooms of Alexander’s army ...."
Note that the scythed chariots are launched against the Phalanx, and that they are opposed initially by the light Infantry screen.

Instead of criticising others, perhaps you would be good enough to offer up another interpretation of what occurred.......I note you have ignored the questions I posed earlier....as has been said in another thread, "Enough with the Negativity..." :lol: :lol:
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - by Paullus Scipio - 05-25-2009, 05:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Makedonian phalanx shield Lessa 22 6,299 09-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Lessa
  phalanx depth PMBardunias 12 3,584 04-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Paralus
  Makedonian Armour Kallimachos 92 26,793 12-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Kallimachos