Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth?
Quote:My answer: On the evidence we have, the best answer is that Greek and Macedonian files, whether 8,12 or 16 deep ( and rarely 10) did not normally fight as files, but rather as half-files, thus the Macedonian phalanx generally would have fought 8 deep...

The most important activity of an army is fighting a battle and, hopefully, winning. If your statement is correct then the most important officer at "platoon level" is the half file leader. Seems Alexander's army did not have such - as far as I can recall. We have file leaders (and closers) but no attested haf file colleagues.

You insistence on the one line in Xenophon's Anabasis that the fighting depths of Greek pahalanxes was four is a stretch of one single line. I might as well state that Thucydides' mention of Spartan "felt caps" at Sphacteria means Spartan hoplites always wore same, as did the other Greeks. One mercenary army; one place and one pre-dinner display drill. Xenophon himself later states that the army fell into battle order (in another drill at Byzantium if I remeber) eight deep. You hang much wedding tackle on a single line...
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - by Paralus - 06-23-2009, 12:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Makedonian phalanx shield Lessa 22 6,299 09-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Lessa
  phalanx depth PMBardunias 12 3,584 04-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Paralus
  Makedonian Armour Kallimachos 92 26,791 12-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Kallimachos