Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth?
Since we are playing "imaginary re-enactment", I'll play too.... :wink: :wink:
Paul B wrote:
Quote:This is not that difficult. You and I are hoplites on a battle field. My spear breaks so I decided to move in shield to shield and luckily evade your dory thrust. We are now shield to shield and trying to push each other back while stabbing. You start to push me back until Giannis puts his aspis against my back, then Michael sees you stopped and starting to give way, so he pushes you from behind as well. You are distracted by something he is saying about Alexander's deployment, and so do not notice Christan coming up in support of Giannis until you start moving back a step at a time. Luckily for you, George backs up Michael and we push at each other ineffectively.
...Archelaos, standing to my left can't believe his luck ! A helpless target, pinned and jammed between Me and Giannis shoving from behind, unable to move. While keeping his own opponent at bay, he angles his spear to the right and gives a quick thrust.....Horrified you see it coming but can do nothing.
'The pitiless iron slams though your neck,' ( to coin a Homeric phrase !) the point severing your carotid, and all but severing your spine as it is as quickly withdrawn. Giannis, spattered in your gore, scrambles backward to avoid a like fate. Archelaos and I push forward, only to be driven back in turn and the two sides separate in this immediate vicinity gathering breath and strength for the next onslaught..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The point being that the presence of nasty sharp weapons renders any attempt at 'shoving', even for a short while, suicidal.....
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - by Paullus Scipio - 06-25-2009, 05:13 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Makedonian phalanx shield Lessa 22 6,301 09-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Lessa
  phalanx depth PMBardunias 12 3,587 04-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Paralus
  Makedonian Armour Kallimachos 92 26,795 12-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Kallimachos