Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth?
Quote:Sorry? As I have already related, Arrian does indeed use the words Dekadarch, Dimoirites and two Dekastateroi (Arrian Anabasis VII.23).

Please copy me the passage in latinised Greek where Arrian mentions more than the decurion: you evidently have it.

Quote:
Quote:The weight of attack will be borne by the front three saris-bearing ranks. The Persians - armed in traditional fashion - are simply fillers who will loose javellins and arrows and lend weight to the front sarisa bearers.
Again, this is assumption on your part, for Arrian does not say this at all !!

This is quite silly.

It is a logical deduction based on the passage. Please explain to me just what it is you think Persians armed in their "traditional fashion" ("some were archers, while others had javelins furnished with straps") are going to do in this phalanx. Perhaps they were to act as Polybios describes the other eleven file members acting by waving their bows and thonged javelins above the pahalanx? Perhaps sing marching tunes in Farsi?
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - by Paralus - 06-25-2009, 10:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Makedonian phalanx shield Lessa 22 6,303 09-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Lessa
  phalanx depth PMBardunias 12 3,588 04-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Paralus
  Makedonian Armour Kallimachos 92 26,797 12-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Kallimachos